General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C compressor leak. Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 12:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C compressor leak. Help

Well,

I recently picked up a 98 z28. The only thing wrong with it was the ac didn't blow cold. I added some leak detector about two days four days ago and couldn't find any leaks. So, I added some r134a and the system began to work again.
Today as I washed the car I noticed a stain on the cement, the same color as the dye for the leak detector. I pulled out the pen light and it looks like the leak is coming from the top of the compressor. I looked at all the lines and they are not leaking.
If I look down in between the dryer and the air tube on the passenger side manifold I can see the dye on the top of the compressor. But, to my knowledge there are no lines on the top of the compressor. Are there? And, if there aren't any, then where is the leak coming from. Any ideas??

thanks
Old 07-13-2009, 12:46 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You need to check the hose that runs from the bottom corner of the condensor to a metal coupler, then the metal line goes behind the compressor. 2 people in the past couple months, plus mine, have sprung a tiny little hole and it sprays out all over the place.

I'd get under the car, with some safety goggles on in case it pops while your messing with it. Move the hose around with your hand, pushing it up, down, side to side, listening and looking for the leak.

See what you find. And no, there's no hose directly above the compressor. Now if the dryer somehow has leak yunder neath it, then I could see it getting where you found it.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:54 AM
Teching In

Thanks. I'll check that out.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:26 AM
Teching In

Default pics

So, I got under the car and found where it was leaking. I used a mirror to check the fittings that connect to the back of the compressor and they were dry. It seems to be leaking form the compressor case itself. I have attached a picture to see what you guys think. thanks
Attached Thumbnails A/C compressor leak. Help-cimg0070.jpg  
Old 07-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

just a possibility --on the back of the a/c compressor is a high pressure relief valve.
Now if you just re-filled the system recently . . . it is quite possible that you added a little bit to much refregerant.

The point is: the high pressure relief valve will leak out any extra oil/refrigerant that is placed in the system and maybe the residue that you are seeing has leaked down to that particular location from the high pressure relief valve?
Old 07-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by leachbuz
just a possibility --on the back of the a/c compressor is a high pressure relief valve.
Now if you just re-filled the system recently . . . it is quite possible that you added a little bit to much refregerant.

The point is: the high pressure relief valve will leak out any extra oil/refrigerant that is placed in the system and maybe the residue that you are seeing has leaked down to that particular location from the high pressure relief valve?
Leachbuz,

I think that you might be correct in your diagnosis. After cleaning the compressor (after i posted those pictures) I have checked the compressor each day and have yet to see any more liquid on the compressor housing. The air still blows cold too! Thanks for the reply. Not many others added their insights. Your help thoughts were very much appreciated.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:12 AM
Launching!

I'm having the same problem except warm air is blowing instead of cold air
Attached Thumbnails A/C compressor leak. Help-image.jpeg  
Old 06-25-2016, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Compressor casing/seal leaks are quite common on 10-18 year old units. Mine started leaking at the compressor casing seal at the 13 yr point. Aftermarket units run $175-$225. An OEM equivalent AC Delco/Delphi unit runs around $300-$325. I got the Delphi as I really didn't want to replace the compressor again before 10 years. And what came off my '99 was a Delphi labeled unit. Along with the compressor you also need to replace the drier/receiver/LP line assembly and the orifice tube. I bought all 3 for around $375. You get a small break if you them from the same outfit.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Firebrian
Compressor casing/seal leaks are quite common on 10-18 year old units. Mine started leaking at the compressor casing seal at the 13 yr point. Aftermarket units run $175-$225. An OEM equivalent AC Delco/Delphi unit runs around $300-$325. I got the Delphi as I really didn't want to replace the compressor again before 10 years. And what came off my '99 was a Delphi labeled unit. Along with the compressor you also need to replace the drier/receiver/LP line assembly and the orifice tube. I bought all 3 for around $375. You get a small break if you them from the same outfit.
Thanks! Is it hard to install or would I need to take it somewhere
Old 05-06-2018, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MIDNITE Z
Thanks! Is it hard to install or would I need to take it somewhere
I seem to be in a the habit of necro'ing threads as of late. Also curious as to the above and I'm sure others will find this thread soon too considering years
Old 05-12-2018, 06:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

In 2015 after ~16 summers of use my 99TA's AC compressor developed a leak. I took it to a local shop. The quote was $900 about $450 in parts for new compressor, evaporator, condenser and $450 in labor. The shop charged $69 an hour so by their estimate / book time it was a 6.5 hour repair.

That seemed fair enough with a one year warranty so I had them fix it. They had it done in one day.

​​​​​I didn't want to spend three or so days working on it several hours after work each day.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
In 2015 after ~16 summers of use my 99TA's AC compressor developed a leak. I took it to a local shop. The quote was $900 about $450 in parts for new compressor, evaporator, condenser and $450 in labor. The shop charged $69 an hour so by their estimate / book time it was a 6.5 hour repair.

That seemed fair enough with a one year warranty so I had them fix it. They had it done in one day.

​​​​​I didn't want to spend three or so days working on it several hours after work each day.
Thanks for the reply. From my continued reading, I feel like that is indeed the best route.

Quick Reply: A/C compressor leak. Help