General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Lots of coolant coming from Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of coolant coming from Radiator

Hey guys, I'm new here and also new to working on my own car. (You learn by experience, right?)

I have a large amount of coolant leaking from the front end of my car. The hoses appear to be unaffected and there seems to be fluid coming out from under the radiator. I took the cap off of the radiator and it was half empty. Is there anything else in that general vacinity that I can look for that can possibly be leaking? Any hoses or fittings that could have come loose? Where else can I check?

I'm new and havn't had a chance to put a sig together...here is the info on my car:

1998 Camaro SS
M6

Mods: (None that are installed, the car is still stock, the mods are sitting in boxes for the time being.)

Any help would be great. I would like to figure out exactly what and where the problem is before I start taking things apart. Thanks guys.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Regular

check the end tanks... they are prone to cracking because they are plastic... also check the fins and see if a rock or something put a hole in it... sounds like you're due for a radiator, no biggie
Old 08-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You could have a split in a hose, which would not reveal itself unless its under pressure. It will be invisible without pressure.

Did you see this coolant gushing out? Were you driving when it started or after you pulled up somewhere and turned the engine off?

Like "neutron" said, could be a rock, but it would have had to go through your condensor first, that would be one hell of a fast rock. But possible. The black plastic tanks on the both sides of the radiator, thats a good place to look.

You're probably gonna have to fill it back up and let the engine run till it comes out again. If it reaches operating temperature and nothing is coming out....go turn the engine off then get down there and watch for it to start coming out. Pressure builds a little more AFTER you turn the engine off.

Last edited by LS6427; 08-01-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:11 PM

Well, I didn't notice the coolant gushing out until I parked it and noticed water pouring over the front splitter. (The plastic air dam under the nose)

The water starts squirting out after the car has warmed up a little.

I'll start the car tomorrow and try to pinpoint where the coolant leak is.

So, let's assume it's worst case scenario and I have to change the radiator. My Haynes manual says I have to release the refrigerant from the air conditioner. The manual states that this can only be accomplished by taking the car to a shop and having them discharge the refrigerant. Is there any way I can do this myself? Or is there a way to remove the radiator WITHOUT discharging the air conditioner? With the rate of coolant leak, I don't know if I will make it to a shop before my car overheats.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Regular

you don't have to mess with the ac... the radiator is held onto the condenser with 4 clips that are molded into the corners of the radiator... just disconnect the hoses, fans, and anything else that looks like it might be in the way and you have to pull up on the condenser and push down on the radiator until the clips are free then it will pull straight out... it's not that difficult but you will probably wrestle with it a little to get all of the clips free and it's a pretty tight fit when taking it out or putting it in... i would suggest getting an lt1 radiator because the core is alot fatter than an ls1 radiator... you have a 98 so you should have the low coolant level sensor which the lt1's have... i don't think the 99+ cars have that sensor so they have to plug that hole but you should be good... there is one fitting you will have to plug on the driver side at the bottom... other than that it should be a direct bolt in and does a better job at keeping the motor cool

Last edited by neutron82; 08-01-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:57 PM

Sweet. I just looked at my radiator and condenser. It's exactly like you said. Thanks for the help! I'll probably start playing with it this week. I'll let you know how things go.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Banned

Yeah man, 1-2 hour job to swap radiators. The condensor just sits there.

And DEFINITELY get an LT1 radiator like "neutron" said. 30% more cooling capacity. Its a 100%, complete, bolt in. You wouldn't know it if they accidentally gave you one, I didn't It goes right in with all the same EXACT hook ups as the LS1 radiator. Yes, the coolant level sensor too.

I have one in mine.

BUT....you do have to buy a cap for one extra port. $2.00.
But I recommend you do what I did. Get a 4" piece of 3/8" heater hose and a plastic screw in plug and clamp it on like I did. 3/8" is tight as hell though, so maybe the next size up if you want. This makes for a great way to drain the radiator to flush it out. That damn factory petcock valve is too slow and they break easy. I just loosen that clamp and that white plug comes right out and it gushes out.

Here's the extra port:

Old 08-02-2009, 12:25 AM
TECH Regular

/\/\/\ that's almost exactly what i did... i used a drain plug for a civic in the end of the hose lol
Old 08-02-2009, 12:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by neutron82
/\/\/\ that's almost exactly what i did... i used a drain plug for a civic in the end of the hose lol
Just makes life easier.

Quick Reply: Lots of coolant coming from Radiator