General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

My Car Won't Start.... Help ASAP Please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Car Won't Start.... Help ASAP Please.

so i go out tonight to get in my car and go eat, and damn it wont start. it ran fine last night when i parked it, sat all day and nothing. battery is good, sitting where it always does on the volt gauge. best way i can describe it is, its like trying to start the car without the clutch pressed in. i figure its either vats or a clutch safety switch. only reason im doubting VATS is because my security light doesnt stay on, it comes on like normal when i first turn the key and all the lights flash on, stays on for like 5-10 seconds, and goes off, just like normal. i got my girlfriend to sit in the car and turn the switch and i could hear the power hit the fusebox, and even the power hit the starter cause i can hear a slight click down towards the starter. anybody have any clues? where would the clutch safety switch be? this is the first time this car has ever done anything like this.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

nobody?
Old 10-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

ok so i check the ohms of the key, put the key in the ignition and checked the ohms at the plug, both are the same or within 2. ohm in a triple digit number. ive been told that as long as its within 7% or something like that its fine. i unplugged my negative cable for 10 minutes and plugged it back in still nothing. i also found this laying on my floormat. only place it couldve came from is under the dash, anybody know what it is or where it came from? looks like it use to be a little plastic mount. sorry for the bad picture. midnight and im working under my dash with a spot light lol.
Attached Thumbnails My Car Won't Start.... Help ASAP Please.-1009092336.jpg  
Old 10-10-2009, 12:11 AM
Teching In

I had something like this, & my starter when out... the stater should be directly under your engine. hit it a couple times, hard with a hammer, & try restarting it... it make take a couple of times b4 it turns on, if it is that.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:15 AM
Staging Lane

yeah i figured thats what i will try in the morning. i dont have anybody to help me tonight and its raining. dont feel like laying out in the rain and cold in the dark by myself having to go back and forth from under the car to to inside my car to see if it even worked. i'll try hitting the starter. i'll try bypassing the clutch safety switch, then move on to my relays under the hood. i guess thats about all i can do...
Old 10-10-2009, 01:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Ignition switch or starter are most likely based on symptoms. Hammer starter while turning key, that will diagnose accurately about 75% of the time. It COULD be the battery but that would be unusual, seen it though.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:48 AM
Staging Lane

well the battery seems fine to me. its got the usual charge, everything seems to work fine. and if the battery was low the start would atleast click over. im hoping its not the starter though, i dont have $194 to drop on one right now, but i need a car for next week. i'm hoping its either the clutch safety switch or a relay, maybe some loose wiring. but thats all i can do is hope.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:37 AM
12 Second Club

i had the same problem it was the ignition lock cylinder, there is a wire in the cylinder that turns every time you turn the key and it breaks after time.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:45 AM
12 Second Club

it is the wire that measures the resistance in the key. if u have 2 keys then you can take the 2 wires and place them on the chip on the key while u turn the ignition with the other. you will have to pull the steering wheel to do this tho.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

see i dont think its the wire in the lock cylinder because im reading the same ohms through the key and down under the dash. if it was the wire it would still show and open circuit. and no i dont have two keys. only got one set.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

fixed. thanks everyone.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

So what was it?
Old 10-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

clutch safety switch. idk what the little plastic clip was from but it dont seem important. maybe it will stay fixed now.