General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Annoying Squeak at startup/water leaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying Squeak at startup/water leaking

I have a 00 SS that has developed a squeak only for about the first 5 minutes of startup when its cold... I replaced the serpentine belt... I had it on a lift the other day and noticed the slightest amount of antifreeze running down the side of the oil pan... I'm having trouble deciding where the squeak's coming from under the hood. Do you guys think it could be the bearing in the water pump and after it gets warmed up it quits squealing? That would explain the small leak too.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Check the weep hole on the pump, but my bet is that's your problem.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I bet its the water pump. I'm on my 3rd one now in 80,000 miles. After driving it, it usually leaves one little drop of antifreeze on the ground and thats the clue that the water pump is going out.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Its not always that simple as saying a leak indicates the water pump is going out. In this case since it is squeeking, it is probably true but I had a leak before and fixed it. I am still on the same water pump.

I had a leak from mine and long story short, I pressure tested the system and the radiator cap. The radiator cap was holding too much pressure and holding the rest of the coolant system to too much pressure.

I swapped my water pump gaskets and radiator cap and haven't had a problem since. I'm still running my factory water pump and I'm at 97,xxx miles.

I suggest you get the radiator cap tested or just replace it since it is cheap.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:36 PM
Teching In

yeah water pump for sure if its not and you still cant find the squeek try the screw driver to the ear trick i found a broken exhaust manifold bolt that way
Old 10-14-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 7camaro7
Its not always that simple as saying a leak indicates the water pump is going out. In this case since it is squeeking, it is probably true but I had a leak before and fixed it. I am still on the same water pump.

I had a leak from mine and long story short, I pressure tested the system and the radiator cap. The radiator cap was holding too much pressure and holding the rest of the coolant system to too much pressure.

I swapped my water pump gaskets and radiator cap and haven't had a problem since. I'm still running my factory water pump and I'm at 97,xxx miles.

I suggest you get the radiator cap tested or just replace it since it is cheap.
Yeah I agree. When I pulled the water pump out it was leaking from the weap hole, hoping it was just a gasket, I double checked everything and the gaskets all looked perfect. First water pump went out at 15,000 miles, I replaced it with a napa water pump, apparently they had a bad design. That one went out not too long after, replaced free under their warranty, and now the one I have currently has lasted me 50,000 or so miles.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jimmard
Yeah I agree. When I pulled the water pump out it was leaking from the weap hole, hoping it was just a gasket, I double checked everything and the gaskets all looked perfect. First water pump went out at 15,000 miles, I replaced it with a napa water pump, apparently they had a bad design. That one went out not too long after, replaced free under their warranty, and now the one I have currently has lasted me 50,000 or so miles.
where is the weep hole? I swear I looked all over the damn thing and never could find it. Is it behind the pulley?
Old 10-15-2009, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input guys... I guess its off to Oreilly's for a waterpump... Pretty straightforward replacement isn't it?
Old 10-15-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

rad cap & yes
Old 10-15-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 7camaro7
where is the weep hole? I swear I looked all over the damn thing and never could find it. Is it behind the pulley?
Its at the bottom of the pump underneath the pulley. Its just a little slot. You have to be underneath the car to see it obviously, but its not that easy to find.