General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

just got slapped with irony

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default just got slapped with irony

so i got my new DD today and i parked the t/a at the back of the driveway. i got out of the car, realized i needed to move the car over a foot, got back in, and it wont start . battery's fine, so is it most likely the clutch solenoid? prior to this, i would have to pump the clutch once or twice to get the car to start, which would lead me to believe it was on its way to the grave.

i put the car away to work on it over the winter (h/c setup), and now i cant even start it. horsesh*t.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:07 PM
Launching!

LOL, Maybe your car is mad at you for buying
another daily driver.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:10 PM
Launching!

check the switch that sits behind the clutch pedal (it gets hit when the pedal is fully depressed),it may be bad, or check to see if your security light is on..it could even be the vats acting up.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

yea i think the t/a did it out of spite. ill check that switch but the security light isnt on. and i dono what vats is.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Vats is the little resistor in your key.

Clean it off and see if that helps.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL aint that some ****.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

hahah,no kiddin
Old 11-01-2009, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

so i got all the panels off and theres a switch that gets hit when the clutch is depressed (black), and another that gets hit when its released (white). should i replace the black one or the white?
Old 11-01-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DownSouthWS6
so i got all the panels off and theres a switch that gets hit when the clutch is depressed (black), and another that gets hit when its released (white). should i replace the black one or the white?
The black rectangular switch (which: "gets hit when the clutch is depressed") is the clutch pedal position swtich - that is the one to replace.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by great421
The black rectangular switch (which: "gets hit when the clutch is depressed") is the clutch pedal position swtich - that is the one to replace.
thanks. got the old one off already. hopefully a new one will fix the problem
Old 11-02-2009, 11:54 AM
12 Second Club

I have never seen the clutch safety switch stop a car from starting. Mine was bad when i bought the car & it just eliminated the need to push the clutch in to start it.

Could be your issue but I have also never heard of anyone needing to pump the clutch to get a car started either. As long as its in neutral it should start even with a bad clutch safety switch.

This will be a first if replacing the switch fixes it.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
I have never seen the clutch safety switch stop a car from starting. Mine was bad when i bought the car & it just eliminated the need to push the clutch in to start it.
That is exactly what the switch is designed for. It is the power feed to the starter relay. If your car worked without it, somebody jumped the wires or the switch. Only the autos have a switch to tell if the trans is in neutral.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DutchmanZ
That is exactly what the switch is designed for. It is the power feed to the starter relay. If your car worked without it, somebody jumped the wires or the switch. Only the autos have a switch to tell if the trans is in neutral.
Nope, no modification has been made to it at all. I have already had all this interior out & its just the switch chilling there dead, not operating. Car was 100% untouched when I bought it, I have done all mods or tinkering, LOL.

I didnt mean it actually tells something your in neutral like a auto tranny. But it'll stop it from kickin over with it parked in gear if the switch is working. It's only purpose is to stop the motor from kickin over with the tranny in gear potientially breaking something.

Just b/c the switch goes out doesn't mean the car wont start. I'm not the only one who has just left the broken switch in place & can still start my car everytime without pushin in the clutch. I actually like it better this way.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

OK, if the switch fails with the contacts closed then yes the car will start without pushing in the clutch. It is supposed to be a safety item so the car won't start and take off if someone left the car in gear. In the OP's case it could be a bad switch.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

im gonna see if i cant find time to put a new switch on today, but the reason i thought it was the switch is cause every once in a while i could push the clutch in, turn the key, and nothing would happen. but if i let the clutch out and pushed it back in it would start no problem.

now when i try to start it, the car seems to register that im turning the key, but nothing happens.

i know these things can be bypassed, but i always leave the car in gear and i accidentally put my dads old porsche into a bush once cause it didnt have one.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Launching!

after about 2 months of my car being up on jackstands i made a hastey repair and ended up leaving the sensor that presses in when the clutch is all the way out(depressed towards the driver) and all it did was throw a code, still had to push the pedal all the way in to start the car, but no starting issues w/ it not where it was supposed to be.

it was just hanging down in underpanel.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by michaelxx16
after about 2 months of my car being up on jackstands i made a hastey repair and ended up leaving the sensor that presses in when the clutch is all the way out(depressed towards the driver) and all it did was throw a code, still had to push the pedal all the way in to start the car, but no starting issues w/ it not where it was supposed to be.

it was just hanging down in underpanel.
wait so youre talkin about the white one that you had disconnected?
Old 11-06-2009, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

well the security light is on. didnt notice. i got an estimate of $400 to fix it, there goes my cam money. **** it. im just gonna let it sit there.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

mmmm shouldnt need to be fixed, do you know your security code/have the stock radio in the car?
or have a 2nd key? like with mine i got 2 keys and 2 fobs, one key went bad, i switched keys and have had no isssues since.
might be cheaper to just get a new key
Old 11-08-2009, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

i tried both keys. i think the problem is the **** inside the steering column.