General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Windows Pop/Click while going up

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Windows Pop/Click while going up

Hey all:

I have had this problem with my windows making a popping noise while going up. The drivers side does it 2 inches below fully up, and the passenger side does it when it goes fully up. I tried adjusting the windows from the tutorial on shbox.com, but it doesn't seem to help. It only happens when I put the window all the way down.

It was annoying, but I havent done anything about it for 3 years. My driver's side window motor is going out, so I opened the door up to look for things to replace. I would like to stop this Popping noise. Its not the gears, I checked to see if they were stripped. It seems to come from the up/down track towards the rear of the car.

I also found a broken rivet in the door, and I couldnt figure out where it came from. (Will I need a new regulator?)

Anyone had similar issues? Any solution?
Old 11-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Wow, no one else with this problem? I just installed a new motor, and it still clicks.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

I have the same problem on my passenger's door. I just ignore it....lol, both of my 4th gen F-bodies have done it. If you figure it out, please let me know. It is annoying.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same Problem here.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:53 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I hear that noise when my driver's window goes down...
Old 11-15-2009, 08:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by myk
I hear that noise when my driver's window goes down...
Well, I am glad I am not alone. Anyone with a solution? It seems to come from the rear Up/ Down channel on both my windows. Maybe it is where the channel is connected to the jack-studs that control the inward/outward adjustment of the top of the window. I couldnt find anything loose!
Old 11-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Yeah this is a sub-optimal aspect of the car - seems these doors/windows just weren't that well designed. Anyway, I had both motors/regulators replaced by a dealership while the tranny was in for replacement and they came back working strong but: my driver's side makes any number of odd sounds, I never know exactly what to expect on any given day: pops, clicks, pings, scrapes, sometimes it's perfectly quiet and smooth, sometimes it sounds like the window is going to crack. What I'm looking at right now is the weather stripping assembly along the lower outside. It's loose, sometimes the end towards the rear moves up out of position and I have to push it back down - positioning and behavior seem connected with the problem, when it's snugged down securely and doesn't move there are less noises. I haven't taken it all the way out but it looks like it has some clips on it, maybe they're worn or bent out of shape from multiple prior motor replacement exercises.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:28 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

What a pain in the ***...
Old 11-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Bump for a solution!!!
Old 11-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Lots of people have this issue. Its usually related to a replacement motor being bolted to the regulator and the bolts coming loose. (There's something to be said for the original rivets!)

Check your motor to regulator connections or regulator to door connections and you'll probably find a loose bolt. This allows one of the three parts to separate (door, regulator, motor) to separate and grind/pop.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
Lots of people have this issue. Its usually related to a replacement motor being bolted to the regulator and the bolts coming loose. (There's something to be said for the original rivets!)

Check your motor to regulator connections or regulator to door connections and you'll probably find a loose bolt. This allows one of the three parts to separate (door, regulator, motor) to separate and grind/pop.
I replaced the motor and it happened imediately afterward. I know those bolts were tight!

The rivets that hold the regulator in.... thats a different story. They have plenty of play. Not what I would call a quality job on GM's side.

Maybe I will drill out the regulator rivets and pop in some heavy duty bolts :hmm:
Old 11-25-2009, 09:21 AM
Save the manuals!

LS1Tech 10 Year

If you still get the pop, you should be able to see where the problem is with the door panel off. Watch the regulator rivets. If they stay put during the pop - they are fine.

Often, the pop comes from the motor gear slipping against the regulator gear. Can you get a mirror in the door and see if the gears are engaged fully?
Old 11-27-2009, 06:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
If you still get the pop, you should be able to see where the problem is with the door panel off. Watch the regulator rivets. If they stay put during the pop - they are fine.

Often, the pop comes from the motor gear slipping against the regulator gear. Can you get a mirror in the door and see if the gears are engaged fully?
Yeah they were fully engaged. When it pops, there is no slippage of the window. The sound is coming from the rear up/down guide. When I adjusted it to change the inward/outward tilt of the window, it stopped for a few times but resumed.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:42 AM
12 Second Club

Same issue here. Probably new bushings, foam pads on the bottom and regulator/motor will cure it. I live with it
Old 11-28-2009, 12:40 PM
Teching In

I park in an underground parkade and have partially solved the window problem by getting a remote gate control so I can get get in and out without opening the window every single time to reach out and punch in a entry code... this reduces the number of window cycles by 98% during the rainy season here in Vancouver which runs October thru May... The more I live with it though the more I think a lot of the problem is related to the weatherstripping which seems to play a role in keeping the window aligned properly while in motion, I'll probably order a replacement and see how that works.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:01 AM

it is the window regulator, i had this problem on my car years ago and the dealer replaced the window regulator, i actually have a extra brand new GM one, i can get the part number and see what side it is for if you need one i will hook ya up with a good price on it, mine has been fine for years...pm me if interested
Old 11-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Save the manuals!

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by FbodyAttraction
Yeah they were fully engaged. When it pops, there is no slippage of the window. The sound is coming from the rear up/down guide. When I adjusted it to change the inward/outward tilt of the window, it stopped for a few times but resumed.
Ahhhh. You didn't say that before! There are some adjustments that will cause the regulator to bind and pop.

Changing the adjustment of the rear track that runs up and down, should change how the window moves left and right. (looking at the door) Did you change the adjustment of the two metal brackets with felt pads that are bolted to the top of the door? These impact who the glass moves in and out and can cause this binding.