General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Could this be causing my front end clunking over bumps?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could this be causing my front end clunking over bumps?

Could this be causing my front end clunking over bumps?

Old 02-13-2010, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes it could. Dry outer tie rod will eventually wear out.

Put the tire back on, have someone grab it at 9 and 3 o'clock and wiggle. Get your head under there and check for movement in the joint.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Yes it could. Dry outer tie rod will eventually wear out.

Put the tire back on, have someone grab it at 9 and 3 o'clock and wiggle. Get your head under there and check for movement in the joint.
I tried to get the wheel to wobble, but it didn't budget when I pushed and pulled.

But is there anything else I should look out for (that could be causing a clunk sound) when replacing this because I don't want to have to get an alignment more than once.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:26 PM
12 Second Club

Ball joints and a busted shock could cause this as well
Old 02-13-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lift the front of the vehicle up. Grab the tire at the 3:00 and 9:00 position and wiggle it. If you have any play there, then check your inner / outer tie rods. Check the inner by putting your hand on it while moving the wheel. You will feel if it has any play. Check the outer tie rod by squeezing it with a pair of channel locks and see if you have any play. If it is bad enough, you will be able to see it while wiggeling the wheel, and won't even need the channel locks.

Now grab the wheel at the 12:00 and 6:00 position. If you get any play from there, it is the hub bearing starting to fail. All are very easy to fix in the driveway.

Now, use the channel locks and squeeze the ball joints. Keep constant pressure on them, and with a pry bar, pry between the ball joint and the lower a-arm. Keeping constant pressure with the channel locks will ensure that you don't mis-diagnose it. If you don't do that, sometimes you won't even feel any play. Be careful not to pry against the boot and tear it. Water and crap will get in there and cause pre-mature failure. If you feel any play there, then the ball joint either needs greased up, or replaced, depending on the amount of play that you find.

Since the outer tie rod's boot is shot, I would definately replace it. When putting a new outer tie rod on, make sure the old and new are the same ones. Then break the jam nut free. Count how many complete revolutions it takes to remove the old tie rod and crank the new one on the same amount of turns it took to remove the old one. This will get you as close as possible the the original alignment. Hell, you may not even need to spend $$ on an alignment. Test drive it first, but most of the time, it can be avoided.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the advice, once the new outer tie rod ends I ordered come in I'll check all the other suspension parts you mentioned. And if I find an issue I'll replace them before I go in for an alignment.

LS1tech members are the best.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

check for broken sway bar endlink(s) or collapsed lower control arm bushing(s)
Old 02-13-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes Lower control arm bushings did it for me. I replaced them with Hyperflex don't use the Red bushings they squeak terribly use the black.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Lifted the car again and tried moving the wheel left to right (3 and 9 o clock). Both sides had some movement but the drivers side made the knock/clunk noise when I wiggled it. I looked under the car and had someone else wiggle the wheel and the inner tie rods seem to have a lot of movement.

Last edited by epox4life; 02-14-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by epox4life
Lifted the car again and tried moving the wheel left to right (3 and 9 o clock). Both sides had some movement but the drivers side made the knock/clunk noise when I wiggled it. I looked under the car and had someone else wiggle the wheel and the inner tie rods seem to have a lot of movement.
Looks like you answered your question!
Old 02-14-2010, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

I think this explains the major tracking with the road and slight pulling left or right.

Quick Reply: Could this be causing my front end clunking over bumps?