General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

wont idle!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wont idle!!

So my car has better sitting for about a couple months i had a codes for my o2's just replaced them, it fires but wont idle or idles horribly for 3 seconds and dies same as before i replaced them.Fuel pump is really loud when it primes does that mean its bad? I really need to get this car running asap and i have no idea were to start addressing this problem so id appreciate any help. Oh the car is a 98 z28 m6 long tubes and lid

Also the car keeps "resetting" itself as if i would put the key from off to ON over and over
Old 02-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Launching!

anybody?? i bought new plugs but i dont think its the problem, ill put em in tomorrow.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Launching!

i put a gallon of gas in and i idled pretty good i guess my gauge is off, its stumbling a little so im still gonna change the plugs. Its still "resetting" itself anyone have any info on that?? when its does it RPMs oil pressure and bat. voltage drop. ABS inop light is on whats that mean?
Old 02-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No SES light I guess? There still may be a code in there so you might want to get it scanned somehow.

My friggin PCM isn't putting on an SES light and I'm only hitting on 4 cylinders....

Might have a clogged/dirty fuel filter too. Water in the gas maybe from sitting.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS6427
No SES light I guess? There still may be a code in there so you might want to get it scanned somehow.

My friggin PCM isn't putting on an SES light and I'm only hitting on 4 cylinders....

Might have a clogged/dirty fuel filter too. Water in the gas maybe from sitting.

actually it is on but im catless so i figured it was for them.its idling at a grand for some reason,it was doing that before i put in the new o2's in i thought that would fix it i only had o2 codes last time i got it checked and havnt drivin the car since. im going to change the plugs,fuel filter and oil see if that helps any how would i go about dealing with water in my gas tank...could there even be any in it if my car is in the garage???
Old 02-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Launching!

went to go start it this morning started right up, after a couple of mins of sitting there i heard some lifter tick or some noise similar so i shut it off. i started it back up and the noise was gone but then it started "resetting" itself again so i shut it off,go back to start it again and it just keeps cranking and cranking and smells like unburnt fuel. the first time i started it when it was running good it started to idle under a grand but sounded like it had a fatty cam and was going back and fourth 500-950 rpms.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

has the car ben driven for a while after the LT's were installed? i had to constantly give my TA a little gas after the install to keep it running. may need a tune.

you might also want to check all your wiring and intake boots for loose connections or any signs of criters such as chewed wires, nests after the air filter. also chck for vacuum leaks and fuel pressure during cranking/running

battery voltage good? dont go off the gauge use voltmeter and maybe disconnect it for about 5 min to reset the PROM

just a couple ideas to try but cant diagnois anythng without a scan tool
Old 02-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by doublea87
has the car ben driven for a while after the LT's were installed? i had to constantly give my TA a little gas after the install to keep it running. may need a tune.

you might also want to check all your wiring and intake boots for loose connections or any signs of criters such as chewed wires, nests after the air filter. also chck for vacuum leaks and fuel pressure during cranking/running

battery voltage good? dont go off the gauge use voltmeter and maybe disconnect it for about 5 min to reset the PROM

just a couple ideas to try but cant diagnois anythng without a scan tool
i swear this thing is playing games with me,i checked the schrader valve to make sure it was getting fuel it was, i try to start it and it bumped a little so i let a little more fuel out and it started right up.

as of right now its idling fine but bogs when i rev it im assuming bad plugs?? also oil pressure dropped down to around 30-35. i left it on for about 10 mins to make sure it wouldnt shut off and it did fine only "reset" once.

checked for bad wires/intake how to i check for vacuum leaks and bat. voltage? i dont know how long the long tube have been installed i got them with the car they have a good amount of surface rust so they have been there a while i guess

edit:forgot to add the tach still says its idling at a grand but it doesnt really sound like it is
Old 02-24-2010, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slo_lt1
how to i check for vacuum leaks and bat. voltage?
spray some brake clean or throttle cleaner around the base of the intake and the vacuum lines. pay close attention to how the engine reacts at certain spots. if it starts to idle smoother and you notice a difference then there is your vacuum leak . i wouldnt worry about the bat volt if your running for 10 min. but it kinda sounds like a fuel issue if it runs fine after letting a little gas out, could be bad gas
Old 02-24-2010, 08:15 PM
Launching!

I am getting almost the same problem with my car. I was told to change the IAC and check for good fuel pressure. This might help.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:17 PM
Launching!

Let me know if you find anything else out and I will do the same.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by doublea87
spray some brake clean or throttle cleaner around the base of the intake and the vacuum lines. pay close attention to how the engine reacts at certain spots. if it starts to idle smoother and you notice a difference then there is your vacuum leak . i wouldnt worry about the bat volt if your running for 10 min. but it kinda sounds like a fuel issue if it runs fine after letting a little gas out, could be bad gas
ill check all the vacuum lines, its got good gas in it now i ran a gallon of good gas in with the bad until it ran out then put some fresh gas in there. i got it idling pretty good now it just bogs wen i try to rev it still need to change plugs and see if that helps
Old 02-26-2010, 03:29 PM
Launching!

took one of the plugs out and it is pretty carbon fouled and smelled of gas it also has a white tip what does that mean?