General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ugh... electrical grimlin..

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ugh... electrical grimlin..

So I had finished removing my nitrous kit, went to start up the car, put the key in, click over, power instantly goes away. I have zero, zilch, nada... Zero power. No lights, radio, anything, all electrical has ceased to function. Wonderful.

I double checked the grounds, went over everything again and again to see if I could have missed anything... nothing that I can find. I hook the battery up again... power is on.. ok sweet. I put the key in, same thing, as soon as I click over to start the power dies instantly again. This has happened at least a dozen times consistantly. I keep removing a battery terminal to look around some more, hook it back up, power is on, try to click over and power instantly dies.

Please LS1 gurus... help me figure out what I've done wrong...
Old 03-28-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Longshot LCMS
I double checked the grounds, went over everything again and again to see if I could have missed anything... nothing that I can find. I hook the battery up again... power is on.. ok sweet. I put the key in, same thing, as soon as I click over to start the power dies instantly again. This has happened at least a dozen times consistantly. I keep removing a battery terminal to look around some more, hook it back up, power is on, try to click over and power instantly dies.

Please LS1 gurus... help me figure out what I've done wrong...
I don't mean any offense with this, but...expecting a different result without changing anything isn't going to get you anywhere, and may very well cause some significant damage.

This doesn't sound like a grounding issue, it sounds like you have a dead short from something not being hooked up where it's supposed to be and are tripping a breaker. If you keep trying to start the car without finding it, you may set the car on fire.

You'll have to go back over your wiring with a fine toothed comb, up to and probably including hooking you nitrous back up and then pulling it back off very slowly and methodically to find where you went wrong.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Check all the circuits the kit was tied into.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

I'm good now, and I suppose I should be a little more methodical with explaining my problem otherwise people assume you're a complete retard. It's not like I didn't change anything and kept recreating the issue.

However, my car does seem to have mysteriously fixed itself. I tried methodically reinstalling and then removing the kit and didn't find a problem but the car starts and runs perfectly now. The only thing I can come up with as a possible issue is the fact that I removed my lid and MAF to get some of the kit out of there and maybe the maf got dirty or had some moisture build up. Whatever the case, it works flawlessly now.

Any guesses? I plan to drive the car the next couple days to ensure the issue doesn't repeat itself, and I'm not exactly pleased with the fact that the car now works with me not really fixing anything, but who knows maybe I did and didn't realize it.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

When you installed and reremoved the kit you may have inadvertantly fixed your issue. My guess would be a wiring connection somewhere wasnt quite making contact then when you went back and redid it, its making good contact now.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Long shot, How did you reinstall the kit today if you shipped it to me yesterday?

I'm confused.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cworley
Long shot, How did you reinstall the kit today if you shipped it to me yesterday?

I'm confused.
Problem was fixed yesterday, before your kit went out. I work fast. Relax, I'm not out to put the screws to you.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Teching In

nah, no assumptions just was clarifying.... your post today and the message i got... just verifying hoss. thanks!