General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Unsolved mystery!!! 01 z28 problem plz help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unsolved mystery!!! 01 z28 problem plz help!!!!

I know this post probably has been posted a million times, or maybe i am in the wrong post thread.. but take a look, i bet you'll have no answer either!

Alright so i just uncovered my password for LS1tech over the pile of dust since 05' lol and haven't had any problems with my car since (that'd be a big lie)! But this one has seemed to STUMP! and i mean STUMP everyone i come into contact with, or ask... Mechanics with 25-30yrs experience, FORGET IT! Starter & alternator repairs, nothing! Auto part stores, ha joke.. Even wal-mart! imagine that! You name it! I've asked!! Now i am coming to you guy's.. THE BEST AROUND!!

The problem: 01 Z28 will not start!!! Starter is good, car turns over... I have been jobless for a year so my car has just sat for months at a time, back in Dec. of 09' it would take bout 3-4 cranks to start, then 5-8 cranks, then just went dead!
Solution: NOT FOUND!
Results: I have tried everything man, from charging my 4-5 yr old Red top optima battery, having it tested at wal-mart (good battery). To having a friend run a diagnostics with his 10k Snap-on computer to find the problem, nothing throwed or gave there! So i ripped out the alternator and had it tested, needed a new regulator, replaced it, and still won't start!!!! Dude i am stranded and do not know what to do! Please help!

IS IT THE FUEL PUMP???

End result: MY CAR IS HAUNTED!!!
Only thing i haven't tried is handing my baby over to a Chevy dealership and having them charge me out the A-hole!!! NO FUN!!!!

Please help.. The big car show ROD RUNS in Pigeon Forge, TN is next week, I would love to have it up and running by then! I appreciate every comment or concern! THANKS
-Trey

P.S. I AM DESPERATE lol
Old 04-06-2010, 09:02 PM
11 Second Club

I would start with a fuel pressure test. Then check for spark. If those are good check compression. A car only needs 3 things to run spark, compression, and fuel. Some how you are missing one of those.

Try spraying ether/starting fluid in the throttle body while cranking. If it starts then there is a fuel problem.
If you get nothing move to step 2.(spark check)
Old 04-06-2010, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Awesome, makes sense! Thank you for your time!
Old 04-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Teching In

You should be able to hear the fuel pump cycle on for a few seconds when the key is turned to run. Do you hear this? Can you elaborate on the details of the situation? The car sat and then wouldn't start? Was the battery dead when you initially tried starting it? Have you noticed any damage to wiring in the engine bay, especially near the computer. Mice love to make nests, and wiring is a great nest maker. Most likely it is fuel related.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:54 PM
11 Second Club

If the car has been sitting you probaly need to drain the gas and change the fuel filter. You could of just got some bad gas or a plugged fuel filter.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Ziembic said...listen for the pump..if nothing then thats probally the problem..if it is working do the pressure test like ws98ta said..if that's good then move onto spark...just stick a screwdriver in the boot and have someone crank it over...DO NOT...i repeat DO NOT touch the screwdriver and make sure it's NOT..i repeat NOT touching any other metal...probally not the best way to do a spark test but it's easy. (anyone else check spark like that?) im just curious
If no spark then check your coil packs/coil pack connectors..also check the crank sensor.connector and the cam sensor/connector(i'm not 100% if they will prevent spark if theyre loose or bad but always check em just to make sure)...if it still isnt firing then do the compression check like ws98ta said.
If STILL nothing then start checking any and all connections under the hood..make sure the grounds are good..etc etc..

EDIT: I almost forgot...good luck
Old 04-08-2010, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hay OP why do you keep making duplicate posts on this same topic on this forum...... you need to go and apply the trouble shooting suggestions that you have received and find out what is wrong with your car instead of making all of these duplicate posts on the same subject....You have no clue ... ... People have been trying to help you with your problem.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Naw thats ok man.. already fixed the problem, AND I FOUND IT MYSELF!! lol bcuz i am a BIG BOI!!!

Really don't care what people think about me man... so go stalk some1 else
Old 04-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Teching In

so what was it?
Old 04-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Launching!

?? so is it fixed? It cranks over? is so than your battery is fine. unless your saying you lose power and everything after a few cranks. try turning the key to the on position, and leaving your door open for 30 minutes. then try to start it, the computer might have a security thing happing and wont allow it to start. then check fuel pressure (as long as it is cranking over) if not, you may have a few problems going on.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

Fixed it!!!!! Whhoooooo hoooo!!!!

Thank you everyone for your help and concerns!!!