General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

right turn signal/running light still doesn't work after I replaced the old bulb

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default right turn signal/running light still doesn't work after I replaced the old bulb

I'm pretty sure I got the right bulb for it cause it fits perfect. I went to Advance to see if I could get a new light socket but they said I would have to go to a dealership to get that, anywhere online I can get that?
Old 05-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Staging Lane

thats strange advance wouldnt advertise a pigtail... if autozone doesnt show one then im sure Napa would. are the contacts corroded or covered in crud or a black looking coating? i was having issues with the same thing and it was all due to a light coating of stuff on the contacts.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:41 AM
Teching In

If you go to autozone and look in the general maintenance parts on the aisle with all of the bulbs they have a generic pigtail socket for the chevrolet trucks that is an exact match for what is in our cars. I did both of my front turn signals and they work fine now. I think the total cost was like 12 dollars instead of 30 dollars each through the dealership. I dont remember the exact part number but they were for a chevrolet/gmc truck.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:06 AM
Teching In

The advanced auto part number is 85881. It is the same part that autozone carries. If you do a search on here there is also a good writeup of how to take the socket apart and switch out the parts you need without any cutting and splicing.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CamdLS1'00SS
thats strange advance wouldnt advertise a pigtail... if autozone doesnt show one then im sure Napa would. are the contacts corroded or covered in crud or a black looking coating? i was having issues with the same thing and it was all due to a light coating of stuff on the contacts.
yea the contacts seem pretty dirty, so if I can find something to clean it up with it might work again?
Old 05-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1Aggie
The advanced auto part number is 85881. It is the same part that autozone carries. If you do a search on here there is also a good writeup of how to take the socket apart and switch out the parts you need without any cutting and splicing.
thanks!
Old 06-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1Aggie
So is this the part I need? http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...GRPLAMPAMS____
Old 06-22-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yep thats the socket. As far as the stock wires being corroded, I just used steel wool and cola to scrub them clean before assembling the new sockets on it and have worked perfect since.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:42 AM
Teching In

Look for the write up on changing the internals for the socket. I had the same problem and didnt want to splice the new pig tail in due to lack of work space. I ended up removing the battery and coolant overflow resevour and pulling the socket through a round hole which gave me plenty work space. Not sure the easiest way to do it if its on the drivers side though.