General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What the hell could this be??! (video)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 01:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the hell could this be??! (video)

So today, I'm parked in a parking lot and randomly my ac starts blowing warm air, and I notice amoke coming from under my hood. I turn off my car, pop the hood, and see smoke coming from what LOOKS like the AC belt pulley farthest to the left. I start up my car and start to hear this... It only happens when my ac is on.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like your compressor clutch is screwed. Or maybe your compressor internally failed since its blowing warm.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Same thing happened to me. Its probably the AC Clutch. I replaced the whole unit, heard that when the clutch goes AC is not far behind. Get it done ASAP as well. I waited to long and the clutch totally failed and it started eating my belt and i could barely drive the car. I had to take the metal ring behind the clutch and bend it around the pulley to lock it in place and keep the clutch disengaged. Was not pretty, but it got me to work for a couple days and until I could save enough money for an AC.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:43 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Facelift
Same thing happened to me. Its probably the AC Clutch. I replaced the whole unit, heard that when the clutch goes AC is not far behind. Get it done ASAP as well. I waited to long and the clutch totally failed and it started eating my belt and i could barely drive the car. I had to take the metal ring behind the clutch and bend it around the pulley to lock it in place and keep the clutch disengaged. Was not pretty, but it got me to work for a couple days and until I could save enough money for an AC.
Damn... Well I live in Texas, so there's NO WAY I'm going without AC.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Slash8915
Damn... Well I live in Texas, so there's NO WAY I'm going without AC.
I suggest two things:

1) Take the lower A/C belt off right now. It takes 3 minutes to get it off. Better yet, its probably damaged a little bit and they're cheap to replace. Get down there with a razor knife and just cut it off in 5 seconds. If it lets go while you're driving it could take out your serpentine, then your screwed.

2) Consider having the new compressor installed at a dealership. Its the one thing that should pay for itself over and over. I got my brand new A/C Delco compressor and associated parts installed at the dealership, and it came with a lifetime PARTS and LABOR warranty. I'll never pay for another A/C repair again. Not a penny. Mine was somewhere around $800.00 in total around 5-6 years ago.

Anywhere else you go will give a 90 day or maybe a 1 year warranty. And they're still gonna probably charge $400 or more to do the job.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS6427
I suggest two things:

1) Take the lower A/C belt off right now. It takes 3 minutes to get it off. Better yet, its probably damaged a little bit and they're cheap to replace. Get down there with a razor knife and just cut it off in 5 seconds. If it lets go while you're driving it could take out your serpentine, then your screwed.

2) Consider having the new compressor installed at a dealership. Its the one thing that should pay for itself over and over. I got my brand new A/C Delco compressor and associated parts installed at the dealership, and it came with a lifetime PARTS and LABOR warranty. I'll never pay for another A/C repair again. Not a penny. Mine was somewhere around $800.00 in total around 5-6 years ago.

Anywhere else you go will give a 90 day or maybe a 1 year warranty. And they're still gonna probably charge $400 or more to do the job.

I agree on the AC Delco compressor but if you are cheap like me (or on a budget as I like to tell my friends ), then look in the parts section for someone selling a nice low mileage compressor. Then put it in yourself if you are handy and have a way of pulling the refrigerant out of the system, or pay a shop to put it in. I can understand you guys living in the south not wanting to go without AC but MAN, you would never catch me paying $800 for a new AC compressor (no offense).

Also LS6427, are you sure they are providing lifetime warranty on ALL A/C components? I find it hard to believe that if you had a condenser or evaporator leak that the dealer of all places wouldn't charge you to do those repairs. If so, you have a really good dealer because none around my house would do that haha.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
I agree on the AC Delco compressor but if you are cheap like me (or on a budget as I like to tell my friends ), then look in the parts section for someone selling a nice low mileage compressor. Then put it in yourself if you are handy and have a way of pulling the refrigerant out of the system, or pay a shop to put it in. I can understand you guys living in the south not wanting to go without AC but MAN, you would never catch me paying $800 for a new AC compressor (no offense).

Also LS6427, are you sure they are providing lifetime warranty on ALL A/C components? I find it hard to believe that if you had a condenser or evaporator leak that the dealer of all places wouldn't charge you to do those repairs. If so, you have a really good dealer because none around my house would do that haha.
The $800 was the total for the entire job, parts, labor and a new charge. And I sat there and watched him work on it for about 3 hours. Plus the refridgerant I think was an $75-80 typical dealer rip-off fee. I don't know how much just the compressor cost, can't remember, but it wasn't $800 just for that.
And...part of that $800 is a lifetime of no worries.
I'll have to ask if the warranty is for any part they replaced during that repair job, I believe it is though.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:18 PM

lol sorry i have no idea what it is,
but where'd you get that sweet see-through air box?
and if you don't mind me asking, how much was it?
Thanks,
Dan
Old 07-06-2010, 04:25 PM
9 Second Club

Well, I had the compressor, accumulator, and orifice tube replaced today. The old compressor was full of liquid, so I'm assuming it just crapped out.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:26 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by iamchevyman5
lol sorry i have no idea what it is,
but where'd you get that sweet see-through air box?
and if you don't mind me asking, how much was it?
Thanks,
Dan
It's an MTI clear air lid. I can't remember the exact price, but it was between $100-$200 new.