General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Is my radiator hose about to be explore ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is my radiator hose about to be explore ?

Today I pop the engine for friend to check it out hehe, and first thing he told me is " hey you need replace this radiator hose !!" I look at it and I did note that before I buy the car, have not lost any coolant or smell coolant, but after he told me that, im kinda worried. I dont want flush the radiator cause the preview ower just did the opti and new water pump and flush coolant with dexcool. What you guy think ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 07-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes....get a new one, immediately. Matter of fact, change them both. Its too cheap not to.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

you know wat brand should i get ?
Old 07-17-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At this point, brand doesn't matter...get new ones no matter who made them.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

is upper and lower radiator use same part # ( I look online at advance auto part, and they both look the same ).
Old 07-17-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

No, they're different. You may have been looking at a universal hose. Even the two correct part numbers appear to need trimming in order to fit properly, at least that's what I see on the O'Reilly's website.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:59 AM
On The Tree

Yes, it's about to explore! I found that title kinda funny.

Anyway, I seriously believe that you need to replace that hose as soon as you can. If you want to go with GM parts, or just need the part numbers for cross-reference, here you go:

If you do NOT have a power steering cooler, you just need 2 hoses:

Upper (radiator inlet): 10271554 ($25.36 from GM parts direct)
Lower (radiator outlet): 10271555 ($15.47)
Total: $56.87 shipped from GM parts direct
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you DO have a power steering cooler, you need 3 hoses:

Upper rear (Engine side): 10403194 ($16.75)
Upper front (Radiator side): 10413567 ($5.48)
Lower (same as w/out PS cooler): 10271555 ($15.47)
Total: $54.84 shipped from GM parts direct
Old 07-18-2010, 08:09 AM
On The Tree

Sorry! Didn't realize at first that this wasn't for an LS1.

Here are the part numbers I found from GM parts direct for the upper and lower radiator hoses for a '97 LT1 Camaro:

Lower: 10256244

Upper: 10261148

Hope that helps.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:13 AM
Banned

Your radiator hose may be pregnant sir...
Old 07-18-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Update, I order wrong part, I order lower upper radiator hose, and I support to order lower, but end up take em both out, might as well do both at same time. im going to pick up lower radiator hose now ( over night special order hehe ). While im at it, I have to go thru hell to change out the plug, take me 6 hours just for the plug.

update : just got back from advance auto park, the douchebag order me the same one he gave me yesterday, after I told him double check the part #, and he still fk it up, I call the part store again, and this guy he look up my car, and he look up wrong car, he look up a 98 camaro, i told him its 97 camaro z28, he event tell me what the vin # of my car wtf. I even give him the part # that I need ( they have to order it )and he still ask me for the vin, I told him just order me that part, and he told me that He been into this business for so long and he know what he doing ? wtf I gave him the part # and all he have to do is order that part , he told me come back to the store and he refund the moneys and order another one ( why i cant do this over the phone ? ). I check another store 40 min away from me have it in stock, i dont mind driving that far to get the right part, some peoples just dumb *** to work at the counter.

Last edited by killagt; 07-18-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

done put everything back in, refill the coolant and leave the cap open, after 10 min idle, the coolant spray out CRAZY it spray every where on my engine, what the hell I did wrong here ? i turn off the car right away, then fill up the coolant, drive 20 min , car temperture normal. I just wonder wat I did wrong to make that coolant spray like crazy every where my engine.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by killagt
done put everything back in, refill the coolant and leave the cap open, after 10 min idle, the coolant spray out CRAZY it spray every where on my engine, what the hell I did wrong here ? i turn off the car right away, then fill up the coolant, drive 20 min , car temperture normal. I just wonder wat I did wrong to make that coolant spray like crazy every where my engine.
I know how you feel. I had the exact same thing happen to me the first time I did a coolant flush and refill. I'm not 100% for sure why it happened, but this is my guess:

Could have some air in the system. Try opening any air bleed screws that are available on the LT1. Also, if you flushed out the block with water, there may have still been a lot of water in the block when you idled the engine. Eventually, this water in the block boiled and sprayed everywhere before the thermostat had a chance to open. Also, if you're like me, you kept on adding coolant and water to the radiator as the engine idled and sucked it down, and you overfilled the system.

A better fill procedure would be to fill the radiator with the proper amount of coolant to get a 50/50 mix. Top off with distilled water. Put cap back on. Idle engine for about 10 minutes to allow thermostat to open. Turn off engine. Slowly remove radiator cap (coolant level should be lower). Add more water until system is full. Drive car normally for a day or so while keeping a close eye on the temperature gauge. Keep the level topped off in the radiator and overflow tank. Enjoy car!
Old 07-18-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FancyFarmSS
I know how you feel. I had the exact same thing happen to me the first time I did a coolant flush and refill. I'm not 100% for sure why it happened, but this is my guess:

Could have some air in the system. Try opening any air bleed screws that are available on the LT1. Also, if you flushed out the block with water, there may have still been a lot of water in the block when you idled the engine. Eventually, this water in the block boiled and sprayed everywhere before the thermostat had a chance to open. Also, if you're like me, you kept on adding coolant and water to the radiator as the engine idled and sucked it down, and you overfilled the system.

A better fill procedure would be to fill the radiator with the proper amount of coolant to get a 50/50 mix. Top off with distilled water. Put cap back on. Idle engine for about 10 minutes to allow thermostat to open. Turn off engine. Slowly remove radiator cap (coolant level should be lower). Add more water until system is full. Drive car normally for a day or so while keeping a close eye on the temperature gauge. Keep the level topped off in the radiator and overflow tank. Enjoy car!
Yub that what im doing now, hehe you and I have some thing happent on coolant spray every where, and smoke lol. how did you clean it up ? I wipe down much I can. and just leave my hood open in the sun for few hours, it look normal now.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:53 PM
12 Second Club

that hose is like "skeet skeet" lol
yes i think its time for new hoses and do them both so you dont have to do it twice.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shaun
that hose is like "skeet skeet" lol
yes i think its time for new hoses and do them both so you dont have to do it twice.
Yub I did em both. after every body recomment me that. None of my autopart around here carry 2 hose at one time, I end up have to go to bad neighborhood to buy both hose, end up going home with only 1, it late, every where else is close, and if I wait until next day to order, it won be here until monday, so I end up order at that store so I can get in the morning, this douchebag order wrong one, and when I call in, they complete ignore me, look like they put the phone down and go some where wtf, cause I can heard em but they dint aswer my question. no wonder it on bad neigborhood. I end up drove 40 min to this nice place, this girl name tasha tray me the hose ( the wrong one ) with new one without asking question. She nice and cute too hehe. I want ask her if she want a ride after I put this hose on hehe, but its 40 min away, im out of gas .

here the update on the pix, its aint preg no more hehe, aint up have to cut each side an inch down to make it fix perfect.

Last edited by killagt; 07-18-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by killagt
Yub that what im doing now, hehe you and I have some thing happent on coolant spray every where, and smoke lol. how did you clean it up ? I wipe down much I can. and just leave my hood open in the sun for few hours, it look normal now.
I just let everything cool down a little (including my temper), and then sprayed it off with the water hose. Took my dad's advice on how to fill it up, and everything went smoothly.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FancyFarmSS
I just let everything cool down a little (including my temper), and then sprayed it off with the water hose. Took my dad's advice on how to fill it up, and everything went smoothly.
Hehe I cant do that with lt1, I dont want end up spend 400 dollar.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Update, I find out their is small leak on thermostat housing, so I will end up swap out for new one today, any tip ? if I swap out thermostat I just use the bleed on next to thermostat to bleed the system right ? btw what brand should I get ?

Last edited by killagt; 07-27-2010 at 12:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Is my radiator hose about to be explore ?