General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HELP!!! Getting a squeak squeak noise when i started my car up what could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 03:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP!!! Getting a squeak squeak noise when i started my car up what could it be?

What's up guys i have a 95 impala ss with the LT1 with 120k on the bottom end and about 20k on the complete top end or the engine.

anybody with any ideas as to what could make the valve train make noise or kind or squeek with it being so new my whole valvetrain is new except the bottom end which it only has 120k, new pushrods, rockers, springs,ect, i have the LE2 setup with everything has only about 20k on it.

i ran the car without the serpentine belt on replaced the serpentine belt and replaced the tensioner pulley, so that rules out it being a pulley or belt, and im still getting the squeek or whatever it is when the car is coming up to operating temperature. I would play with the throttle and it would get faster the sound that is and become steady but only when getting to operating temperature. I also took the valve covers off on both sides rockers seems to be fine I really cant tell where the sound is coming from sounds like it is coming from under the intake or the middle of the engine. It is definetly the drive train, as if something is tapping or rubbing kind of hard to explain. Car runs fine no issues what so ever and idles fine, car dosent smoke either. Never ran hard been to the track ect just a daily driver. Thanks for the help guys I really want to get this problem solved ASAP

Last edited by LT1allday; 08-02-2010 at 04:06 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Idler pulley?
Old 08-02-2010, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

not sure where is th eidler pulley located and does it effect the serpentine belt because i took it off and it does it while the engine is running and the belt completely off, it' slik a tapping squeeking sound, and it does it when the engine get to operating temperature
Old 08-02-2010, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Anybody?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh, sorry, didn't realize the sound was still happening with the belt off.

I don't know much about LT1, but I suspect the distributor might be squeaking since it's located in the front. Could it be a worn bushing?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

usually a squeaky squeak means a bearing. If you are positive its a upper end part then im gonna guess a cam bearing or two. if not then probably main bearings

Last edited by Texhotrod593; 08-03-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Thanks alot for the input, i was thinking that it may be a lifter, i sure hope that it is not a bearing of any sort , but ya it runs fiine just like normal just dosent have a stumble or anything, if it was a bearing wouldnt i get a check engine light or something like that, i don't have anything like that just the noise of squeeking and slight tapping, does that sound like a bearing of any sort?
Old 08-03-2010, 08:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

are the lifters hyd rollers or flat tappet? if rollers...then it could be the bearings on the lifter/s. to answer your questions about it just sweaking, can it be a bearing? YES... imagine it, the cam just turns and rides on its bearings. no up and downs or side to side. if it has a bad bearing/s then it will squeak. now if it was a bottom end bearing then i would think it would have some knocking because of the up and down motion it has. if the cam is still turning you wont see a code pop up. there is no sensor on the car that senses bearing noise. but if it does have a light tap it could very well be a lifter. i would def break it down and see what you can find before the problem get much worse and takes a whole bunch of crap out in the process. good luck man
Old 08-03-2010, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

DAMN MAN, thaks for the advice, that's definetly not good news at all, ill keep u updated

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Getting a squeak squeak noise when i started my car up what could it be?