General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear Main Seal/Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Main Seal/Clutch

Okay, so like many v6'ers, I've got the common Rear Main Seal leak.
I've been offered to have it repaired for a pretty good price.
Since the tranny is going to have to be dropped, I decided to get a new clutch. Seems logical, yes?
I know with the replacement of a clutch the flywheel also should be replaced.

Reason for thread?
I need part numbers. I've searched and always wind up finding random parts, but honestly, I'm not sure what's right. Anyone that's replaced the seal, that could point me in the right direction, would really help me out.
I've searched on RockAuto, because obviously that's the cheapest route.
I'm not sure I want a performance clutch, the car isn't meant for that right now. I just want it working like it should be, like a new car.
When I upgrade, or do more performance mods, I'll consider a performance clutch, plus, a more stock alternative is more affordable I think.

Not trying to chimp out on getting good parts, but since I've always been quoted ~$700+ just for the labor of the rear main seal, and I'm being offered a GREAT price for the labor now AND the install of the clutch, I want to make sure I don't go over budget when buying the parts.

Car is a 2000 3.8L V6 M5.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-09-2010, 05:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Flywheel may not need to be replaced on 3.8l. Check to see if it can be resurfaced.

You won't need a performance clutch, just make sure it's a good brand. A clutch is WAY too big of a job to install the cheapest one you can find.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Flywheel may not need to be replaced on 3.8l. Check to see if it can be resurfaced.

You won't need a performance clutch, just make sure it's a good brand. A clutch is WAY too big of a job to install the cheapest one you can find.
I'm looking on RockAuto and for clutches I see:
2000 PONTIAC FIREBIRD 3.8L 231cid V6 FI (K) OHV : Clutch : Clutch Kit Wiki Price
SACHS Part # K7018401 More Information About this Part
Base; Standard
Base; Slave Cylinder w/o Bearing
Part Image
- Stocked in outlying warehouse--shipping delayed up to 1 business day
$168.79
Add to Cart

RHINOPAC Part # 04082 More Information About this Part
Base; Disc Spec: 9-11/16" OD X 1-1/8" ID X 26T, Flywheel Spec: Flat
Part Image
$174.79
Add to Cart

BRUTE POWER / PERFECTION CLUTCH Part # 91105 More Information About this Part {#MU701841}
Raised Diaphragm; 9 11/16x26x1 1/8; Release Bearing Not Included
Part Image
$277.79
Add to Cart

ACDELCO Part # 381407 More Information About this Part {#19182560, 88989447} replaces 88989447
PLATE KIT,CLU PRESS & DRVN (W/ CVR) [US vehicles]; 2 DOORS; RAISED DIAPHRAGM 9 11/16X26X1 1/8
PLATE KIT,CLU PRESS & DRVN (W/ CVR) [US vehicles]; CONVERTIBLE; RAISED DIAPHRAGM 9 11/16X26X1 1/8
Part Image
* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 5 business days
$249.79
Add to Cart
Also, the Flywheel is only about $60, so it might just be worth it to replace rather than resurface. We'll see.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why spend money on a stock like clutch now and later in the future have to worry about putting in a performance clutch?
Old 09-09-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Greekey
Why spend money on a stock like clutch now and later in the future have to worry about putting in a performance clutch?
Because it's not certain that I'll have this car/engine/transmission when it comes time for it to "perform". Know what I mean?
Plus, funds are tight as it is.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm changing my clutch this weekend, is it a good idea to go ahead and change the rear main seal while I'm at it?
Old 09-09-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Greekey
I'm changing my clutch this weekend, is it a good idea to go ahead and change the rear main seal while I'm at it?
is yours leaking? I don't think the LS1's have a problem like the 3.8's do.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For whatever it's worth - I had the same leak. This is my second firebird and my first one had it too. I was lucky the first time and it happened before my 100k warranty expired. Not so lucky this time.

I read about a product called white shepherd (sp?) in some of the performance forums and figured I'd give it a shot. It worked great!! That was about 8 months ago and I've driven it cross country in that time. Not the first drop on the floor.

I'd never heard about it. And feared stop leak products in general. But so far am VERY VERY pleased with the results I got from this one. If you need help finding it, let me know and I'll send you the link.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Rear Main Seal/Clutch