General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starting but not idleing...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting but not idleing...

Hi guys,

I do a lot of reading on here but not too much posting. Awesome forum with a lot of knowledge kicking around! So... please help.

I have a '98 z28 which has been a fantastic runner since I bought it about 9 months ago. I bought it from Japan (i'm in the Middle East) and it has like 50,000km's on it...

Anyway, yesterday - to my horror - I think I ran out of fuel! My guage was reading in the red but I thought i'd park up for the night and fill up in the morning, well as I was parking the car, it started to idle a little rough so I shut it down.

In the morning, started it but it wouldn't hold it's idle. Went and got a jerry can with about 8 litres of fuel thinking i'd have no probs, still no joy!

I'm now thinking my running out of fuel has caused some problems, is this possible? I have an CEL on but it's because I disco'd the MAF sensor to see if that would make a difference, it started better but still died.

Any suggestions before I call the recovery truck?
Old 11-20-2010, 01:56 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

So the only SES code you have is because of the MAF? In that case, I would start looking at the fuel system. Do you know when and if the fuel filter has ever been changed?
Old 11-20-2010, 03:15 AM
Teching In

The CEL only came on after I disco'd the MAF, which I believe is normal.

I changed the fuel filter when I bought it about 6,000km ago.

I'm almost certain this is related to me running out of fuel. Do I need to try and get more than 8 litres in there to get the fuel circulating? Is it possible I have have either clogged the system by emptying the **** out the tank into my fuel lines and/or got air in the system?

I'll do a search on how to bleed the fuel system and make sure i've got more fuel and maybe a system cleaner additive.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:05 AM
Teching In

Bump for this.

Can't find any info on how to service the fuel system. I'm thinking I need to change the fuel filter and flush out the injectors.

I roughly know my way around a car but not got much experience with fuel systems. Any help?
Old 11-22-2010, 03:28 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

I would try the fuel filter first. At this point, you may want to get your hands on a fuel pressure gauge and see if you can check the fuel system's pressure when the ignition is "ON," running (if you can start it), and then off. Let us know if you want to give that a try; I'll post up pressure readings that are considered acceptable.

Let me be clear though, you're saying that the car starts then dies? The only SES code you have is the MAF one?
Old 11-22-2010, 04:03 AM
Teching In

SES code I am assuming is the MAF because it only came on after I removed the MAF sensor. I don't have a code reader so not sure if there is anything else.

I'll need to go buy a fuel pressure guage, are they universal or do I need one for the Camaro?

Also, fuel filter? How easy is it access that. A nice write up on a simple Fuel filter change would do nicely!
Old 11-22-2010, 04:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

you could have fried your fuel pump from running out of fuel.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:49 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
you could have fried your fuel pump from running out of fuel.
That's what I was thinking too, hence the fuel pressure tests. As for the fuel pressure gauge, the unit I bought had adapters to fit Fords, Hondas, just about everything. As a matter of fact, I used it on my Mustang when it's fuel pump died. In any case, I don't remember which side the filter is on, but it runs lengthwise on the bottom of the car not too far from the tank (I think it's the left). I don't remember what type of connectors are on there either; plastic tabs and/or screw on fittings. I don't "think" you need one of those special tools to get it off.

Check this link out: http://shbox.com/1/fuel_filter.html

Oh, and any owner of a car with OBD technology should buy a code reader-it may be a little expensive at first, but that little code reader can save you hundreds, if not thousands, allowing you to diagnose your own problems...
Old 11-22-2010, 06:43 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the help guys, i'll get back with some results when I have them.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Launching!

very first thing i would do before you freak out is get a new fuel filter i bet yours is plugged from sucking **** off the bottom, next id be looking at a fuel pump, they are only about 100 bucks for a new one.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Guys, I don't even want to begin talking about the disaster that was my attempt and changing out the fuel filter... anyway, ended up bursting the fuel line...

The car went into the garage and it turns out the fuel pump is a gonner. Someone mentioned $100 for a new one, can I have link for that?

I have been quoted about $700 for the part only from the stealer out here (Dubai) so will look into shipping one out if they're a fraction of the price. Appreciate any help, thanks.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

check sponsors here for a cheaper price.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Teching In

UPDATE:

Got the Granatelli pump from Summit, working a treat but seems a little noisier than before - is that normal?
Old 01-10-2011, 10:27 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

From what I've heard those pumps are very noisy. Glad to see you got it working. How much did you end up having to pay for the install?
Old 01-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by myk
From what I've heard those pumps are very noisy. Glad to see you got it working. How much did you end up having to pay for the install?
It is really noisy but as long as it's supposed to be I don't mind!

It ended up costing me $600 for the install which included a fabricated piece for my fuel line. It cost $210 for the pump to get delivered to Dubai... expensive?
Old 01-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Default thank you

Hi,
just a note: Thank-you for your service to our country. Stay safe and may god bles you and your family always.
Jim
Old 01-12-2011, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

glad to hear your having fun while over seas!( meaning having your car) Thanks for your services to our country!
Old 01-15-2011, 01:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jim ravencraft
Hi,
just a note: Thank-you for your service to our country. Stay safe and may god bles you and your family always.
Jim
Originally Posted by Lord_Vaders_Hawk
glad to hear your having fun while over seas!( meaning having your car) Thanks for your services to our country!
Guys, I have nothing but respect to all service men and women who are fighting for our right to be free and live peaceful lives, whether it be U.S. Military or her Majesty's soldiers.

But... If you look in my details, i'm a Scottish golf Professional staying in Dubai - which is as much of a war zone as your local shopping centre!

As you say though, God Bless all the brave soldiers and their families.