General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

TA driver's seat won't stay "inflated"

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TA driver's seat won't stay "inflated"

Basically, the driver's seat on my 98 has the 4 way adjustable setup, but the sides wont stay inflated. I can hear the pump running and feel them beef up when I push the button, but they will slowly begin to return to a neutral position after a while, say maybe 10 minutes.

Is this a problem with the pump or is my seat punctured internally? I'm not really sure what the mechanics of this system are so any help you guys could offer would be great.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:38 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not joking here, but I didn't even know our seats could inflate like that; someone chime in here quick!
Old 11-26-2010, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you ever took your seats out you can see their are hoses running around to each seat. you obviously have a leak somewhere id suggest flipping the seat over and spraying the hoses and anywhere that air is transported fitings on the pump to see where its leaking. hopefully it would be a hose not the bags themselves since i would think they would be hard to replace
Old 11-26-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea its kind of a hard system to diagnose but as said above, your best bet is to spray the hoses and fittings with soapy water and look for bubbles. If the leak is bad enough you may actually be able to hear it if its really quiet in your garage.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Myk reach Down with your left hand, there are grey buttons, when you push them you'll hear a humming, it's adjusting your lumbar and how tight the seat fits your sides

Edit: buttons are right behind the thing you pull to adjust your upright position
Old 11-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by myk
I'm not joking here, but I didn't even know our seats could inflate like that; someone chime in here quick!
Some TA's don't actually have this. I've been told that the fully adjustable seats were a VERY popular option, but not every Trans Am was ordered with it.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:00 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Well I've got 3 switches on the driver's seat-I'm assuming the one that just "buzzes" is the lumbar inflator deal and I've got a leak somewhere...
Old 11-28-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had one of these seats apart last week. A bit of a PITA to disassemble, but the bladders can be replaced (if you can find one). Most likely you have a hose that's leaking though. I would check the passenger's side bladders, and see if they stay inflated for longer then 10 minutes.

If yes, then your problem is most likely in the lines or the bladders of the driver's side. By the way, the pump and valves are under the passenger's seat. Check the hose junction under the driver's seat that connects it to the passsener's side via under the carpet.

Quick Reply: TA driver's seat won't stay "inflated"