General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AIR BAG "light"... How do I turn it off?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 12:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default AIR BAG "light"... How do I turn it off?

It's been stuck on for awhile now. I just want it gone. I read somewhere someone mention placing a 1k resistor somewhere under the dash to shut it off. ... Anyone happen to have more info on this?
Old 12-06-2010, 05:03 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Have to ask - did you take your airbags out permanently?
Old 12-06-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wssix99
Have to ask - did you take your airbags out permanently?
Haha! ... Nope, I have not. ...

.. Someone on here mentioned that this happens if your car is a salvage. I've had this car for 6 years. I was in the car when it was totaled. ... Ever since then I never once noticed the light until maybe 4-5 months back. ... I just want to turn it off. Everytime i see that light, I keep thinking that the bags will deploy in my face while I'm on the freeway. Haha!
Old 12-06-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also would love to know this. My airbag light has been on since my car drove itself through a telephone pole and deployed both bags
Old 12-06-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Kevin01Z28
I also would love to know this. My airbag light has been on since my car drove itself through a telephone pole and deployed both bags
Wow!... That's a good one!! Haha! I should start a thread in the Racers Lounge about this.

... I was T-Boned by a drunk driver in Hollywood in a mid 80's pickup truck.(all steel)

Last edited by WS6 Rampage; 12-06-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:03 PM
10 Second Club

i know if you are talking about the steering wheel one, you can solder in a resistor. It is the 2 wires that go to the yellow collar piece, i think the wires were yellow and brown. I would assume that the dash one would be very similar. We did it to my race car, but I had a friend do it who had done it before.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jeffro_93
i know if you are talking about the steering wheel one, you can solder in a resistor. It is the 2 wires that go to the yellow collar piece, i think the wires were yellow and brown. I would assume that the dash one would be very similar. We did it to my race car, but I had a friend do it who had done it before.
Sounds easy enough. I dont have either airbag. What size resistor?
Old 12-06-2010, 04:03 PM
10 Second Club

i will check with him on my local board n get back to you.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

i will check with him on my local board n get back to you.
That would be great. ... I heard it was a 1K Resister.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:27 PM
10 Second Club

he used a 2.5 ohm resistor. Hope that helps
Old 12-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
Haha! ... Nope, I have not. ...

.. Someone on here mentioned that this happens if your car is a salvage. I've had this car for 6 years. I was in the car when it was totaled. ... Ever since then I never once noticed the light until maybe 4-5 months back. ... I just want to turn it off. Everytime i see that light, I keep thinking that the bags will deploy in my face while I'm on the freeway. Haha!
Well, with the light on, your airbags will not deploy if you run in to a brick wall. (I'd be more worried about that.) The light means that all is not well with your airbags. Have you worked on your steering column at all?

The light can mean a couple of different things. Hot wiring your driver's bag may not take care of the issue - but you should be able to get codes from the car telling you where the issue is.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Well, with the light on, your airbags will not deploy if you run in to a brick wall. (I'd be more worried about that.) The light means that all is not well with your airbags. Have you worked on your steering column at all?

The light can mean a couple of different things. Hot wiring your driver's bag may not take care of the issue - but you should be able to get codes from the car telling you where the issue is.
Gotcha. ... I just got under the dash to Bypass the Passkey a day or so ago. ... Besides that, my builder was under there more than a few time while putting her back together...... roughly 4-5 months ago. Haha!
Old 12-07-2010, 04:25 AM
Save the manuals!

Besides that, my builder was under there more than a few time while putting her back together...... roughly 4-5 months ago.
So, the light has been on since your "builder" was messing around with the car. Do you think your "builder" has enough sense to keep away from the magic yellow wires?

You may just have one component of the system unplugged or a wire cut.

What was the car being put back together for?
Old 12-07-2010, 05:21 AM
TECH Addict

So, the light has been on since your "builder" was messing around with the car. Do you think your "builder" has enough sense to keep away from the magic yellow wires?

You may just have one component of the system unplugged or a wire cut.

What was the car being put back together for?
... I'm not gonna put it on him. He's actually very picky about how a car runs and double checking everything before it leaves his shop. ... Maybe I should just give him a call and ask. ... But if I knew how to solve the issue myself I can just grab a resister or something and take care of it myself.

... New motor.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

he used a 2.5 ohm resistor. Hope that helps
Ill try it thanks. But may not work in my situation since my airbags deployed during the wreck. Im guessing maybe I need the electrical box by the e-brake (not sure the name of it) reset after an accident. Anyone know?

If i can solder a resistor in place and turn the light off I would rather do that.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

If i can solder a resistor in place and turn the light off I would rather do that.
Same here. ..
Can someone provide a step by step?
Old 12-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Save the manuals!

... I'm not gonna put it on him. He's actually very picky about how a car runs and double checking everything before it leaves his shop. ... Maybe I should just give him a call and ask. ... But if I knew how to solve the issue myself I can just grab a resister or something and take care of it myself.

... New motor.
A plug could have come loose... but they all have positive locks on them, so that shouldn't happen.

Suggest you give your buddy a call and ask them if they can scan the car's computer for SIR (Supplemental Inflatable Restraint) codes. That will point to where the problem is and if nothing is cut, it should be an easy fix. (Or if an airbag is genuinely bad, then it will be an easy, expensive fix.) Either way, you need to get the codes.

If you put a resister on, (assuming you can find the place that's causing the problem) it will short out whatever component its in front of and the related airbag will definitely not work if you are in a crash. The light is informing you that the car's computer can't "see" one of the airbag components.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Save the manuals!

Ill try it thanks. But may not work in my situation since my airbags deployed during the wreck. Im guessing maybe I need the electrical box by the e-brake (not sure the name of it) reset after an accident. Anyone know?

Did you put new airbags in after the wreck? If so, who did it for you? You should only need to put in a resistor if you are running without an airbag and don't want the light on. (Like when you put a racing steering wheel on a racing car, etc.)
Old 12-09-2010, 08:48 AM
TECH Regular

Did you put new airbags in after the wreck? If so, who did it for you? You should only need to put in a resistor if you are running without an airbag and don't want the light on. (Like when you put a racing steering wheel on a racing car, etc.)
No airbags, just want the light off.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Save the manuals!

No airbags, just want the light off.
Cool - Sometimes after a crash, some people put in bad air bags. (Some have had issues with old ones being put back together and re-sold as new.)

Quick Reply: AIR BAG "light"... How do I turn it off?