General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

battery drains after car sits for a couple of days

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 12:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default battery drains after car sits for a couple of days

As the title says, if I let my car sit for a couple of days the battery is completely dead when I go to start it. I replaced the battery a week ago thinking that was the problem. Nope.

the car sat for a month while I was in the process of replacing the axle. The battery went dead in the mean time. Ever since this I have encountered the battery draining if I don't start it for a couple of days.

The passender side headlight stopped going up a good time ago. I manually raised the headlight then pulled the fuses for both headlights to pass state inspection. I put the fuses back in and then the headlight started working again. I don't know why. The battery still goes dead whether they are up or down.

Something is draining the battery while it sits. I have had the battery and alternator checked, and they both passed good.

If anyone has any input as to what to check or what it could be please comment on this. It's pissing me off. I never had a problem letting my car sit for a week or two before this.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

this sounds very irritating. check to make sure all wires around the battery have good connections including grounds.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

took it to the dealership and they found the problem. The previous owner installed an ipod adapter to the radio. The adapter went bad. They removed the adapter and problem solved.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:24 AM
Teching In

Do you have a stock radio in your car? If so does the clock stay on even when the car is off? Mine used to and if I did not pull the fuse it would wear the battery down. Aftermarket radio took care of that problem.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI, in the future, all you need to do to check for a parasitic draw is remove the negative cable, and insert your Voltmeter (With Ammeter function) in between the negative cable and negative post on the battery. If something shows up, there is still current flow with the key off. Then it's time to start unplugging things to see what makes the draw go away. It's a tedious process, but it's also free.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Launching!

Was it a USA Spec adapter, if so thats at least three I know of, including mine that are the cause of this, I even went as far as to wire the adapter up so it only comes on and off with the ignition and it still does it.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same problem for me. As soon as I installed an iPod adapter to the factory radio via CD changer input, I got a parasitic draw. I solved the problem by installing a $30 or so solar charger from Harbor Freight. I'd keep the wires plugged up and just plug in the panel when I knew the car would sit. Did that for around 6 months. Then the parasitic draw stopped and iPod adapter still works fine. Damn iPod adapter kills my iPhone's battery if I leave it plugged in while I went in to work. Would charge fine with car on and running tho. Stupid aftermarket piece of ****.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up Usa spec adapter

Looks like I have the same problem!

Quick Reply: battery drains after car sits for a couple of days