General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Start up/Fuel Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Start up/Fuel Issue

My car has been sitting in the garage for a little while as I've been waiting on some tires and rear wheels.

I've been starting and running the car, but I noticed the last couple times it took a little longer to start the car, I thought it might have something to do with how cold it's been getting here.

Yesterday I went into the garage to start it and let it run and it would turnover but never start. The battery was a little low after trying to start it, so I thought it might be a cranking amps issue so I charged the battery overnight and tried it this morning. Battery tested good and I had the same results.

I didn't have a chance to check anything else but I will check the fuses and relays when I get home.

If not a fuse/relay, fuel line, filter, or possible pump issue? Does the cold weather have any effect on the pump on top of the fact the car has been sitting a week without being started?

Wondering what would it cause it to go from running to not running in a short period of time.

Last edited by M3xpress; 12-28-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It could be a clogged fuel filter or line.

Do you hear the fuel pump coming on when you turn the key to accessory?
For a more accurate test of fuel pump, test the pressure at the fuel rail.

Cold weather does make a problem worse if it was intermittent before, but at the same time your car was garaged and didn't sit outside in subzero weather.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
It could be a clogged fuel filter or line.

Do you hear the fuel pump coming on when you turn the key to accessory?
For a more accurate test of fuel pump, test the pressure at the fuel rail.

Cold weather does make a problem worse if it was intermittent before, but at the same time your car was garaged and didn't sit outside in subzero weather.
I'm pretty sure I'm not hearing the pump in the on/access. position. Doors shut, radio off, turn the key, no noise from the rear.

Bad fuel pump relay/fuse causing this?

The thing I was thinking is that the car was low on fuel sitting in the garage, it's been ran a few times, it got harder to start the last couple times maybe because of the cold and low gas, it was lower than I thought and it got clogged up.

The first time I tried it and it wouldn't fire I put more gas in it thinking maybe it just ran out of gas, but maybe by then it was already clogged.

The rear of the car is also sitting up on jackstands and if it was completely out of gas, maybe with it's position, the 5 gals I put in it is not enough to pick up.

Last edited by M3xpress; 12-29-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by M3xpress
I'm pretty sure I'm not hearing the pump in the on/access. position. Doors shut, radio off, turn the key, no noise from the rear.

Bad fuel pump relay/fuse causing this?

The thing I was thinking is that the car was low on fuel sitting in the garage, it's been ran a few times, it got harder to start the last couple times maybe because of the cold and low gas, it was lower than I thought and it got clogged up.

The first time I tried it and it wouldn't fire I put more gas in it thinking maybe it just ran out of gas, but maybe by then it was already clogged.

The rear of the car is also sitting up on jackstands and if it was completely out of gas, maybe with it's position, the 5 gals I put in it is not enough to pick up.
A bad fuel pump relay and or the fuse can be causing it.
If those test out, Check the fuel pressure at the rail with a gauge.

Also check out your fuel filter, if its clogged it be one of easiest things to check since the car is already on jack stands.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
A bad fuel pump relay and or the fuse can be causing it.
If those test out, Check the fuel pressure at the rail with a gauge.

Also check out your fuel filter, if its clogged it be one of easiest things to check since the car is already on jack stands.
I was just looking at the write up for the filter replacement and saw where it looked easier than others I've done.

Is there another fuse/relay for the pump other than the one in the engine bay box?
Old 12-29-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Junkie

I believe the fuel pump's relay is by kick panel on drive side. Try a search here on here for more accurate answer.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

I checked the fuel pump relay and fuse in the box that's in the engine bay and the small fuse looked burnt out. I replaced it, but still didn't get any change. I swapped a few around, and nothing.

Went ahead and changed the fuel filter, checked the ignition relay and checked for spark and the car is getting it.

Maybe the pump got clogged and burnt out.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:48 AM
TECH Junkie

It very much sounds like a dead pump cuz everything checked out and you can't hear it coming on with accessory.

Just to be sure do a fuel pressure test at the rail before you spend $ on a warlbro or GM replacement pump.