General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Die Hard battery any better?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Die Hard battery any better?

I bought a name brand battery for about $80 on 12/07 at Sam's w/ 700 CCA and it died 12/10.

....anyway, I bought a Die Hard at Sears today for $109 w/ 695 CCAs.

Question: Will the Die Hard last longer than 3 years?
Old 12-31-2010, 03:47 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had nothing but great experience with Sears Diehard batteries. The Sears I shopped at was always good about pro-rating the batteries also, which is something they didn't have to do after some time had passed. Only reason why I stopped buying them is because I can get batteries for cheaper through a contact at a parts store...
Old 01-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

It depends... what is the warranty on the two batteries? (The one from Sam's and the DieHard.) Generally, the longer the warranty, the better quality you have. My general experience is that batteries die on the day after their warranty expires...
Old 01-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you just use the coupons from this link and grab up an Optima Red Top for like 70 bucks?

http://zservers.com/aapimages/aapbrakespromo-10off.html
Old 01-03-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
Question: Will the Die Hard last longer than 3 years?
it depends on how it is maintained. Buying a die hard or an optima brand battery will not simply guarantee that it's better and will last longer, nor does the warranty. It has to do with how the battery is cared for and the environment the battery is operated in.

my best guess is the sam's club battery died as soon as it did was you bought it and it may have been on the shelf for a while. Did you check the manufacture date of the battery, and did you check the state of charge of the battery when you bought it? was the battery fully charged? Places like that don't always check their stock and pull dated batteries, so you can buy a battery that's been sitting, is at 50% because it has self discharged, then you put it in the car and it never got a good charge because of short runtimes. And if you have a drain on the battery, or it sits for a long time in a discharged state, will shorten the life of any battery... not so much an optima because they are AGM.
The smart thing to do for any new battery is to put it on a charger prior to use and properly charge it to 100%, that is your best guarantee to a long service life next to making sure when the battery is discharged it doesn't sit discharged for long and gets properly charged back to 100%.

by buying a die hard especially if it was from a sears service center, it is unlikely the battery will be more than 6 months from manufacture and will be close to 100% state of charge, so for that reason you're getting a better battery than from a store like sam's. I think there's only 3 major battery manufacturers, from there everything just goes under a brand name like die hard, exide, duralast, and so on.

and sears die hard platinum batteries, which are AGM and are expensive, are made by Enersys (who also makes Odyssey branded batteries) and are considered the best and better than optima since optima has been farmed out to mexico.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BRUTL
Why don't you just use the coupons from this link and grab up an Optima Red Top for like 70 bucks?

^^^
where were those codes 8 months ago?! Haha!

I like Optima. I wouldn't use another brand again if I can help it.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BRUTL

Thanks for the coupon but I don't understand how you are getting it for $70

Regular price is $160 minus the $40 coupon brings me to $120+tax which is about $10 -$15 less than Amazon
Old 01-14-2011, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

3 years out of a battery is plenty. You got your moneys worth. I have had some that didnt do worth a **** after 3-6 months.

Quick Reply: Die Hard battery any better?