General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Another "Car won't start" thread. . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another "Car won't start" thread. . .

1998 Camaro, full specs here:https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...c-9-th400.html

Pulled the full interior (preping for cage install) except driver seat and steering wheel, and car started and drove just fine. Last thing I did was pull the stock wheel to install a Grant, cut the yellow wire for the airbag, but never tried to start it. Been a couple weeks since then and went to start it and nothing. Fuel pumps come on and everything seems fine, turn the key and nada. Plugged the gauge clustrer back in and no security light, no blown fuses, battery has plenty of power, turn the key and nothing. No click, turn over, grind, etc. I'm stumped, my 1st time to get this deep into a car so throw me some other ideas please. . .
Old 01-08-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

check connection at the starter also you can have the starter checked.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:41 AM
12 Second Club

could be the wire for security in the ignition switch not getting resistance
Old 01-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Connection at the starter is good and if if the ignition wasn't getting the correct resistance from the key I believe I should be getting the Security light in the dash. Appreciate the suggestions tho, anymore?
Old 01-16-2011, 06:01 AM
On The Tree

check the starter relay= under hood
Old 01-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Can hear it and feel it click as the key is turned. Maybe the ignition switch itself? But I don't think the relay would activate then. . .
Old 01-19-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Deviant Hawk
Can hear it and feel it click as the key is turned. Maybe the ignition switch itself? But I don't think the relay would activate then. . .
If the starter relay is clicking when the ignition is turned to crank then yes, the ignition switch is working but that doesnt necessarily mean that the relay is good...it just means the coil is operating within the relay whereas the contacts inside could be bad. Try swapping relays with another. If no go still, try this.

Get a test light and touch it to the purple wire at the starter solenoid. Have someone attempt to crank the engine. If the test light lights then the starter relay is good and you are getting power to the starter to engage. Lightly tap on the starter with a hammer while someone is cranking it. Also make damn sure that the battery cables are clean and tight at the battery AND the ground cable at the block above the starter.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by joshp14
If the starter relay is clicking when the ignition is turned to crank then yes, the ignition switch is working but that doesnt necessarily mean that the relay is good...it just means the coil is operating within the relay whereas the contacts inside could be bad. Try swapping relays with another. If no go still, try this.

Get a test light and touch it to the purple wire at the starter solenoid. Have someone attempt to crank the engine. If the test light lights then the starter relay is good and you are getting power to the starter to engage. Lightly tap on the starter with a hammer while someone is cranking it. Also make damn sure that the battery cables are clean and tight at the battery AND the ground cable at the block above the starter.
Cool, thanks for the info, I'll give that a try this weekend.