General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replacing HVAC

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing HVAC

The **** for my temp control cracked on my 98 TA (the middle **** - hot to cold). It is very hard to find on eBay, etc. The back of the **** has a 1/2 inch plastic retainer that cracked. I found out that the temp control **** on the 98-02 is different from the 92-97 unit when I received the HVAC unit I bought on eBay from a mid 90's car (it was less than $10). The temp control **** is different (the back is wider and will not fit the hole) from the one on my 98 TA. I might just need the **** (I am able to turn the metal control with needle-nose pliers. But, it seams a little tight. It might be more cost effective to change out the whole HVAC since I already have the one from eBay. The plugs look easy enough. But, how do I splice the cable for the temp control? Any other suggestions? Does anyone know of a different replacement ****? Maybe from a Grand Am? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:44 AM
Launching!

I just purchased some from a member on here for pretty cheap. I was looking on ebay and they have some decently priced ones on there.

Here you go, $6.50 shipped.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by elwood2
I just purchased some from a member on here for pretty cheap. I was looking on ebay and they have some decently priced ones on there.

Here you go, $6.50 shipped.
Thanks! But, believe it or not, that **** will not fit. It has to come from a 98-02. I wish it was the right one.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by man2004
Thanks! But, believe it or not, that **** will not fit. It has to come from a 98-02. I wish it was the right one.
That's weird. I have an 02 TA and those fit mine.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Default Temp control/HVAC

Well if I can't find the **** I can always replace the entire HVAC since I have the one that I bought on eBay. The install is a no-brainer except for the temp control cable. It looks like it could be tricky splicing the cable. I was hoping someone elso on the forum has done the install. If I do install the one I got from eBay, I will have a bunch of back-up ***** since it takes the ones that you used. BTW, I also have a 99 TA and it has the same temp control **** as the 98 (1/2 inch diameter back piece). Thanks again for your help. Michael
Old 01-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by man2004
Well if I can't find the **** I can always replace the entire HVAC since I have the one that I bought on eBay. The install is a no-brainer except for the temp control cable. It looks like it could be tricky splicing the cable. I was hoping someone elso on the forum has done the install. If I do install the one I got from eBay, I will have a bunch of back-up ***** since it takes the ones that you used. BTW, I also have a 99 TA and it has the same temp control **** as the 98 (1/2 inch diameter back piece). Thanks again for your help. Michael
Is the temp control **** different than the other two? If i is, can you take a picture of the back of it so i can see what you're talking about?
Old 01-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Launching!

I just took a look at mine, you're right, they are different. They back is bigger and doesn't look like it'll fit. I'm glad i didn't waste money buying any off ebay!

Keep an eye on the classifieds section, you should be able to find some for cheap on there from someone parting out the correct year model.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:44 PM
Launching!

$20 shipped for the entire HVAC control panel with 3 *****! Click
Old 01-19-2011, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Nice find. PM send. Keeping my fingers crossed that he still has it. Thank you!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Offer accepted and the part should be on its way tomorrow. I'm hope I can get away with just replacing the **** from this unit instead of replacing the entire HVAC unit. Thanks again for all of you help!