General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Windshield wipers not retracting

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Windshield wipers not retracting

I turned off my wiper blades today after the rain let up and now they will not fully retract. They sit about 3 inches higher right on the windshield in my line of sight rather than retracting and sitting where they are supposed to. I've had this problem before but it cleared up one day after starting the ignition but this was after weeks of driving. It isn't the motor because they still work beautifully. The car is a '94 Z28. Anyone else have this problem? Electrical possibly?
Old 04-11-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Replace the wiper motor.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

I have the same thing going on with my 98 L36. The wipers won't go all the into park. The difference here, I think, is that when I have the wipers on Intermittent and I'm at freeway speeds, the wipers will be taken by the slipstream and sweep at full speed. I'm assuming that's indicative of a bad motor, as well? The $tealer$hip had told me that it could be the motor, it could be the parking pawl, stripped linkages, or the BCM must be re-tuned. I call BS on the BCM tuning, but what's yalls take?
Old 08-18-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i know on older cars, you could replace the park switch. i think it is part of the motor now, not sure about that though.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Hey guys... I'm having a similar problem.

windshield wipers start up as soon as the car does regardless if the switch is in the off position. They were fine yesterday... until last night when I ran them in the rain, then the wipers would move up to the delay position then down, then back up to delay.
this morning I had to pull the fuse because it wouldnt stop running in the low speed with a short delay.

Thoughts?

BCM issue? or Multi-function switch - or wiper motor

Does anyone have a schematic for the BCM? Do the windshield wipers go through there?

Sorry - car is a 2000 SS Camaro convertible. Had it since new.

Last edited by CD1009; 08-22-2011 at 09:15 AM. Reason: adding car details
Old 09-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

anybody?? I'm having a similar issue after replacing the control module. It's like if i turn them on at all they go into the "washer mode"..
Old 09-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

Mine used to do it. I just got out one day and bumped them back down with my hand, and they've worked fine ever since.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the wiper transmission is messed up. We do a lot of them on Vans, not sure if they are common on F bodies.

Originally Posted by stinkynuts
anybody?? I'm having a similar issue after replacing the control module. It's like if i turn them on at all they go into the "washer mode"..
That sounds like a multi function switch to me.

Quick Reply: Windshield wipers not retracting