General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Damn vibrations!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn vibrations!

My Beautiful SS runs strong EXCEPT I'm getting these nasty vibrations from what seems like behind my car around where my exaust pipes end!? No rough idle, no loss of power, runs fine but when I'm close to 1000 rpm, it sounds like a HUGE mutant bee is sitting on my trunk.. It stops when I'm over 1500rpms tho. Or at least the engine drowns it out by then.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:03 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Does it only happen when the car is moving?
Old 05-16-2011, 09:19 AM

not really, i notice it stops as soon as i leave the 800-1k rpm range. (idle) im really thinking its the exaust pipe rattling against something. its really annoying. my car is too low to do anything so im kinda limited as far as getting under it. i can get a lift but shop isnt open until wed.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

So, if it happens when the car is not moving, you are probably on to the cause.

Time to invest in some good jack stands and you'll be set to go.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Good chance your over axle pipe is resting/hitting on something, I would jack it up and check there first.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pabbi's SS01
My Beautiful SS runs strong EXCEPT I'm getting these nasty vibrations from what seems like behind my car around where my exaust pipes end!? No rough idle, no loss of power, runs fine but when I'm close to 1000 rpm, it sounds like a HUGE mutant bee is sitting on my trunk.. It stops when I'm over 1500rpms tho. Or at least the engine drowns it out by then.
Picturing this made me lol at work haha. Good luck on the fix btw
Old 05-18-2011, 03:23 PM

hah glad to toss a laugh your way sweep..
but back to the rattling, i was talking to another LS1 driver at the gas station yesterday and he said that the resonating chamber wields in my flowmaster could be deteriorating causing everything in the muffler to rattle. My next muffler will proabably be a MagnaFlow or SLP loud mouth unless you guys think otherwise? BUT before i spend $$ im going to check that axle to see if it is hitting. if it is, what should i wedge in between that wont melt or fall off?
Old 05-18-2011, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try balancing the tires.could be a out of balance drive shaft.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah it could always be the "death rattle" in your muffler. I had a custom chambered flowmaster on my car when I first bought it and after a few months it rattled like ****. Bullet muffler is the way to go
Old 05-20-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DWake
Yeah it could always be the "death rattle" in your muffler. I had a custom chambered flowmaster on my car when I first bought it and after a few months it rattled like ****. Bullet muffler is the way to go
Indeed haha. I had to trace down some rattles and such the other day, if its not whiles its moving then yeah drive up on some blocks or borrow some jack stands and get someone to rev it to where it rattles/vibrates or if its at idle then n/a and get under there and look around and try to trace the source. Mine ended up being the fuel lines vibrating against a protective shield. Bugged the **** outta be when the car would idle and vibrate those ************* Hope you get it fixed
Old 05-20-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Forgot to mention I only got the death rattle at idle, so damn annoying going to a drive thru or being parked for more than a minute
Old 07-11-2011, 09:46 AM

Thanx for the help guys, turns out it was an exaust pipe weld that broke and two pipes were vibrating against eachother. Just tapped it with a arc welder and was good to go! thank got i didnt have the rattle of death. If i did, i would have just went and bought new exaust all together.