General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Possible use for A.I.R. pump ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possible use for A.I.R. pump ?

I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet, so please don't laugh
I recently disconnected the AIR system from my engine. All that's left to do is remove the pump. I started to think what if the pump flow were to be reversed ? What I mean is an external filter placed on the inlet hose to the pump, and the outlet routed to the air box, and the pump controlled by an external switch.
Would this be considered semi forced air ?

As I was looking at this pic. I just had another thought. My wife's Challenger has a CAI that has the IAT sensor relocated as far as possible from the TB. The claim is that it's better this way so that the sensor doesn't read the radiant heat coming from the TB and manifold.
I wonder what would be gained if my IAT sensor was to be relocated to the hole on the side of the lid.

Coffee's ready, gotta go

Last edited by jg rider; 05-17-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

or even use it to create a vacuum in the block... haha like we do with the sportbikes and EGR tubes for crankcase vacuum.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:12 PM

"I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet, so please don't laugh
I recently disconnected the AIR system from my engine. All that's left to do is remove the pump. I started to think what if the pump flow were to be reversed ? What I mean is an external filter placed on the inlet hose to the pump, and the outlet routed to the air box, and the pump controlled by an external switch.
Would this be considered semi forced air ?"

ive heard of people doing this on the gen III fbody 2.8l v6 and gaining 5 to 15 hp, but to me to do it on a ls base seems irrelevant and point less. now on to the AIT, i would move that away from the TB unless you TB Coolant bypassed, when its not bypassed the coolant warms the TB up for cold days but robs performance on a hot day, its a double edge sword.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive wondered this also. its probably just as useless as the electric superchargers and you will get like .005 lbs of boost haha
Old 05-17-2011, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by my bandit
ive wondered this also. its probably just as useless as the electric superchargers and you will get like .005 lbs of boost haha
i think the air pump give at most 1 to 2 psi
Old 05-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jg rider
I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet, so please don't laugh
Would this be considered semi forced air ?

As I was looking at this pic. I just had another thought. My wife's Challenger has a CAI that has the AIT sensor relocated as far as possible from the TB. The claim is that it's better this way so that the sensor doesn't read the radiant heat coming from the TB and manifold.
I wonder what would be gained if my AIT sensor was to be relocated to the hole on the side of the lid.

Coffee's ready, gotta go
Hell NO.......with a capital H. Nothing is being forced, its just flowing into an unpressurized box and getting sucked in with the rest of the air. Engine is doing all the work still.

I've asked on here many times about using that air pump for an alternate vacuum source to replace the PCV vacuum line on the intake.......now that would be nice if that air pump could run constantly and not burn up.

No more oil in the intake for our engines is a goal of mine.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:27 PM

Default oil in engine

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SDA-555-3710/

that should solve the oil in the PCV system
Old 05-17-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by evoxm9

Not for $74 bucks!
Old 05-17-2011, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

i think the air pump give at most 1 to 2 psi
So at that rate it's even useless to adapt it to inflate slow leaking tires.
It has to be good for something !
Old 05-17-2011, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

That looks like a Home Depot water/ air separator that sells for $13.00
I run two of these in series

With modified internals that I copied from here

Old 05-17-2011, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

now on to the AIT, i would move that away from the TB unless you TB Coolant bypassed, when its not bypassed the coolant warms the TB up for cold days but robs performance on a hot day, its a double edge sword.
I do have the coolant line by passing the TB. What they are referring to is the radiant heat coming out the throat of the TB from the intake giving off a false reading. Dodge is now selling another after market CAI that also relocates the IAT

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...elocation.html

Last edited by jg rider; 05-17-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:02 PM

I do have the coolant line by passing the TB. What they are referring to is the radiant heat coming out the throat of the TB from the intake giving off a false reading. Dodge is now selling another after market CAI that also relocates the IAT

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...elocation.html
the link i posted was just the first one that popped up in seach, prices vary by size and brand. but relocating the AIT wont hurt there would be no negative well beside cost of wire to add length if needed
Old 05-17-2011, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

the link i posted was just the first one that popped up in seach, prices vary by size and brand. but relocating the AIT wont hurt there would be no negative well beside cost of wire to add length if needed
Well I just finished moving the IAT sensor a little. It's now in the direct upward cold air flow from my CAI

Last edited by jg rider; 05-17-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:50 PM

Well I just finished moving the IAT sensor a little. It's now in the direct upward cold air flow from my CAI

looks nice, if it wernt for the tap it would look stock
Old 05-18-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

vacume pump for neg crank case pressure can boost hp.I have been suggesting this idea for yrs.I have run vac pumps on drag motors yrs ago,25 hp..it helps with ring sealing.swap the tube from the intake lid to the left valve cover and put a filter on the hose that went to the exhaust manifold.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by garygnu
...I have run vac pumps on drag motors yrs ago,25 hp..it helps with ring sealing.swap the tube from the intake lid to the left valve cover and put a filter on the hose that went to the exhaust manifold.
Wouldn't the AIR pump need a 100% Duty Cycle to pull that off? Otherwise it would burn itself up (I assume) or just smell really bad in traffic, or both.

BTW JG Rider...how's that coffee? I also enjoy a hot beverage on occasion.

Heeeeyyyyy...if you were to run the outlet hose from the air pump to a steel tube mounted to the exhaust manifold on the passenger side and then bend up a line wrapped in header tape for insulation routed along side the tranny tunnel to carry the heated air up through the shifter hole boot and under the console into the bottom of the cupholder the 1.5 psi of boost may be enough to maintain sufficient temperature in any hot beverage (such as your coffe fine Sir) properly situated in the aforementioned cupholder...

Or I guess you could just get one of those Metal Cup Thermos Thingies at Starbucks. But you can't really add that to your signature's mod list so where's the fun in that?
Old 05-19-2011, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by therealhitman
Wouldn't the AIR pump need a 100% Duty Cycle to pull that off? Otherwise it would burn itself up (I assume) or just smell really bad in traffic, or both.

BTW JG Rider...how's that coffee? I also enjoy a hot beverage on occasion.

Heeeeyyyyy...if you were to run the outlet hose from the air pump to a steel tube mounted to the exhaust manifold on the passenger side and then bend up a line wrapped in header tape for insulation routed along side the tranny tunnel to carry the heated air up through the shifter hole boot and under the console into the bottom of the cupholder the 1.5 psi of boost may be enough to maintain sufficient temperature in any hot beverage (such as your coffe fine Sir) properly situated in the aforementioned cupholder...

Or I guess you could just get one of those Metal Cup Thermos Thingies at Starbucks. But you can't really add that to your signature's mod list so where's the fun in that?
i like that coffee heater idea, but a bypass would be needed for when you want a cold drink to stay cold
Old 05-19-2011, 12:26 AM
Teching In

...you can't really add that to your signature's mod list so where's the fun in that?
Got my new Signature working...whataya think?

2001 Black WS6 346 M6
Ported and Polished PCV Valve
Billet Aluminum Muffler Bearings
Disneyland Antenna Ball
Xmas Tree Air Freshener
HITMAN's AIR Pump Cup Holder Heater Mod (patent pending)
UMI LCA's, BMR STB, SLP OMFG RSVP and ROFLMAO

Old 05-19-2011, 12:29 AM
Teching In

i like that coffee heater idea, but a bypass would be needed for when you want a cold drink to stay cold
See, I'm just an idea man, here's where the engineers take over and the magic happens...

Old 05-19-2011, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

I think it would need a flow release path, and a thermostat. I don't know if the pump can sustain a constant run.

Originally Posted by garygnu
...I have run vac pumps on drag motors yrs ago,25 hp..it helps with ring sealing.swap the tube from the intake lid to the left valve cover and put a filter on the hose that went to the exhaust manifold.
I seriously thought about this at first. But since we know that the original intent of the pump was to shut off after a few minutes, I wondered if it could run constantly. Then there was a question of sludge build up even with a catch can in series

NEW IDEA ! How about routing the inlet hose to the grill and attaching the the outlet to the IAT, to help cool the IAT down. I need to go see about an air pressure gauge to measure the psi

Quick Reply: Possible use for A.I.R. pump ?