General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rack and pinion

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rack and pinion

I have a 98 trans am that according to autozone needs to have f4i on my rpo to have the firm ride handling. They say theres 2 rack and pinions one with f4i and one without...of course the one without is more expensive...can i put in the f4i one or do i have to stick with whats in the car...does it really matter?
Old 05-20-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 243hunter
I have a 98 trans am that according to autozone needs to have f4i on my rpo to have the firm ride handling. They say theres 2 rack and pinions one with f4i and one without...of course the one without is more expensive...can i put in the f4i one or do i have to stick with whats in the car...does it really matter?
You need the perf model. The input shaft is at a slightly different angle on the other and will cause your steering linkage to hit the alternator. I found out the hard way.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also im pretty sure the perf model is 2.5 turns lock to lock but don't quote me. Go out and check yours and when you go to pick up your rack you can verify.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

So i need the performance one?? Bc stock...whats in there now...is NOT the firm ride one....
Old 05-21-2011, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 243hunter
So i need the performance one?? Bc stock...whats in there now...is NOT the firm ride one....
How many turns it takes to go lock to lock will give you your answer. I'd bet your paycheck you need the perf rack..........
Old 05-23-2011, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

ok ya i just went and checked and its 2.5 lock to lock. good thing! the performance one is actually cheaper!
Old 05-23-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you pulled your old rack yet? If not sawzawing the drivers side bolt head off is by FAR the easiest and quickest way to do it. It will only cost whatever a new bolt and nut costs. Around $5. Also make sure you got a long saw blade or 2.

After you get the old rack out check the part # against the new (probably refurbed) rack. I can't remember what brand i used but the first new one i installed was the normal rack and the iinput shaft was at a diff angle that what was in the car. It would hit the black plastic part of the alternator and the angle wouldn't jive with the steering linkage. A little research later and i deduced that mine and im pretty sure all LS1 engine f bodies had the perf rack. The v-6's had the normal.

ALso be sure to throw the rack in place and just temp install the 2 bolts to hold it in place, and snug the 2 fluid lines with your new orings of course! Now with the cap off the reservoir your going to hear some bubbling farting noises. Basically you want to start to bleed it now to see if it leaks out of the tie rods.

I completely installed everything only to discover that mine had a bad seal on one of the inner tie rods and then had to replace the whole damn thing again. This step might save you a lot of time and trouble.

If it looks good go ahead and do your normal bleed procedures and restore everything back to normal.

Good luck and don't forget to install that new drivers side bolt upside down then get an alignment asap!
Old 05-26-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How'd it turn out?
Old 06-06-2011, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

well guys...looks like i do NOT need the performance one! i went and bought the perm one, tried putting it in and yup...it doesnt fit. i didnt have the old on off the car yet but once i did i laid it beside the new one and the input shaft is different! i was really hoping i was wrong and maybe it was just the beer making it look that way...NOPE! So now Im gonna take it back and get the other one...this time Ill have the old one with me to compare right there.

oh and I will send you my paypal info and you can send me your check since we bet paychecks!
Old 06-06-2011, 12:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just rememver, sawsall is your friend but make sure you get the correct bolt to put back in its place along with a locking nut cause it will be put in upside down..
Old 06-06-2011, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

ya my buddy helped me out and we just used a torch...with a water hose nearby. lol it worked out just fine no issues. used some brake clean to clean the area and then sprayed it all down with water to rinse it off then went to work...worked out great. now im in the process of putting it al back together...cant wait till this is done.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lol, I went through all this a little over a year ago. Sounds like you got it figured out tho.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Ya and i put ws6 springs back in and new struts and shocks...talk about one hell of a PITA. I should of took sears up on their half off instal hahaha

Quick Reply: Rack and pinion