General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Flashing "Service Engine" light after fillup?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flashing "Service Engine" light after fillup?

OK, I bought the car earlier today, and everything was fine, no lights, except for "check gauges" for gas. I bought it, put 1/4 tank of premium in it and ran most of that out cruising with no issues... I got up for work, filled her up with premium at Shell, and headed out. On the interstate the "service engine soon light" came on, and stayed on for 5 mins or so, flashed for 1-2 mins, then went back solid and stayed on.

My question is, could a loose gas cap cause this? I did a search and couldn't find anything definitive.

I was in a hurry and didn't have time to check it when I got to work, and it's killing me... I'm going to Autozone when I get off to have codes read, but that's in 10 hours, and this is making me sweat BIG time I need

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by roninsonic; 09-08-2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: edited text
Old 09-08-2011, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

any sounds at all ?? it wouldnt flash from the gas cap
Old 09-08-2011, 09:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roninsonic
My question is, could a loose gas cap cause this? I did a search and couldn't find anything definitive.
It can, but it's not too common. The EVAP system has a non-continuous monitor that can throw an SES if the monitor was running at the time the gas cap was loose.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No off sounds that I heard... Seemed to be running OK. Sorry for posting in the wrong section, BTW.

AAGGGHHH This is driving me nuts, and thanks to 9/11 anniversary I found out that I'm working 12 hour shifts all weekend, so pretty much no spare time...

I REALLY hope that it's the gas cap or something else simple.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

Did you top off the tank or stop pumping when the lever clicked off during the fill-up? I don't know if the GM cars are like the trucks, but I over-filled the tank right after I bought a Silverado and got a light the next day. It turned out to be the Evap canister. Fuel from the over-fill made its way down a vent tube and ruined the canister. Wait until you have the code checked and go from there. It was an easy fix for the Silverado, but I will never over-fill a tank in a GM again.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

topped off a little bit, maybe $1-2. How much are the evap canisters to replace?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:58 PM
Banned

Geez relax...wtf its not the end of the world and for christ sakes its running fine......check the effin cap and be on yer way.....and buy some big boy pants and pull the ******* up! Who the hell puts 1-2 bucks worth of gas in? are you some kinda freak?

that check engine lite knows yer ***** and is ****** with you LMAO
Old 09-08-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by O2Form
Geez relax...wtf its not the end of the world and for christ sakes its running fine......check the effin cap and be on yer way.....and buy some big boy pants and pull the ******* up! Who the hell puts 1-2 bucks worth of gas in? are you some kinda freak?
I'm new to the domestic world... I'm used to a flashing MIL equating to something REALLY bad. I've encountered two, and both times before necessitated a complete rebuild. (The first was after I snapped an exhaust cam in half after downshifting into second at 115mph. The second was after leaning out on spray and turning the top of a piston into butter and melting a hole from the exhaust valve relief all the way to the #2 ring land.) Also, I just paid a hair shy of 15 grand for this car and have put less than 30 miles on it. I don't think I'm overreacting.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Banned

really chill...............this aint no far east rice cooker.....
Old 09-08-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And I was saying, I topped it off maybe $1-2 after the click on the pump. I didn't put JUST $1-2 in
Old 09-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Banned

that shouldn't matter....relax check your cap and don't worry about sheeeet you can't do anything about.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

that shouldn't matter....relax check your cap and don't worry about sheeeet you can't do anything about.
Flashing SES light means "multiple misfires". A loose gas cap can't cause misfires.

Go get your codes read at an auto parts store for free. Post what they are.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Will do... I hope to Christ you're right. I stalked some of your prior posts, and you seem to know wtf you're talking about, so I'm hopeful. And yeah, only thing I can do is take the car back if it's f'd up and make 'em fix it or give me something else... But I'd prefer not. I bought it, and now I want to hit up the beach and enjoy my 8-10MPG mullet-inducing chick magnet in peace.

Originally Posted by LS6427
Flashing SES light means "multiple misfires". A loose gas cap can't cause misfires.

Go get your codes read at an auto parts store for free. Post what they are.

Will do... Codes should be up in the morning.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Banned

Will do... Codes should be up in the morning.
If a loose gas cap causes "multiple misfires"...that'll be a first. But you never know with these friggin PCM controlled, sensor filled, electrical nightmares of a car.......

Old 09-08-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS6427
If a loose gas cap causes "multiple misfires"...that'll be a first. But you never know with these friggin PCM controlled, sensor filled, electrical nightmares of a car.......

Let's hope so... Pray for me. If not, I'm hoping maybe the cam is causing it to throw that crank code where you have to do the CASE relearn... Evidently it's possible, and the car should still run right. Hell, I've seen weirder crap. I spent two weeks without a car in 2007 because the charging system on my '98 Integra GSR refused to function, without throwing any DTC's. It took me hours of tracing wire diagrams out of the Chilton's and the Haynes manuals to figure it out... A secondary 02 sensor wire grounded against the header. Mind you, this is the O2 sensor that I PERSONALLY disabled in the tuning software before burning the ROM, so it shouldn't have been energized anyway. And it caused the charging system to fail. Without so much as an ELD fault code.

Thanks everybody for all the input. I appreciate it... I'll update with codes whenever I get them.

Last edited by roninsonic; 09-08-2011 at 11:03 PM. Reason: text edit (I can't spell. Blame the public skool system.)
Old 09-08-2011, 11:13 PM
Banned

It started after you put that first 1/4 tank in there......maybe it has water in it.

The Crank Relearn throws a code....but it doesn't have to be cleared. It has nothing to do with performance of the engine. My SES light has been on for more than a year now because I haven't done the Crank Relearn. We tried like 12 times, it just won't pass......so I said screw it. Engine runs perfect. I might swing by the dealership tomorrow to see if my friend there can get it to take.....Just so my SES light goes out so I will know if I have another issue that pops up...

Old 09-08-2011, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nah, that 1/4 tank did fine. The light came on after the complete fill up plus the top off. I hope there's no water in the gas... Emptying a full tank would be a PITA and I'd be out 50 bucks.

Somebody mentioned I might have bricked the evap canister... If it's an evap code I'll just block off the evap can, clear it, and ignore it until I can get retuned. Which reminds me, I need to find a tuner in the area...
Old 09-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Banned

nah, that 1/4 tank did fine. The light came on after the complete fill up plus the top off. I hope there's no water in the gas... Emptying a full tank would be a PITA and I'd be out 50 bucks.

Somebody mentioned I might have bricked the evap canister... If it's an evap code I'll just block off the evap can, clear it, and ignore it until I can get retuned. Which reminds me, I need to find a tuner in the area...
Well, you'd have to put MORE than 19 gallons of gas in your tank to get gas in that canister. I made the mistake of doing just that when we had Hurricane Wilma coming. I needed to top it off because getting gas after the Hurricane went through would be impossible.....so I put 19 gallons of gas into my tank. I was amazed, it just kept going and going. I had to keep squeezing the lever because it kept shutting off. Nothing happened at all, it was fine. I stopped at 19 gallons..... lol

Old 09-08-2011, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

huh... guess I didn't kill the can, then

Another thing I just thought of... The car was tuned without cats, and the dealer had high-flow cats welded in to pass state inspection. Could this possibly have caused it? I don't know how sensitive the LS1's are to changes in exhaust when it comes to the tune.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Banned

huh... guess I didn't kill the can, then

Another thing I just thought of... The car was tuned without cats, and the dealer had high-flow cats welded in to pass state inspection. Could this possibly have caused it? I don't know how sensitive the LS1's are to changes in exhaust when it comes to the tune.
Huh....the tuner probably turned the rear 02 sensors off then. Putting cats back on shouldn't cause anything if the rear 02's are off.

Get the codes tomorrow......go from there......

Quick Reply: Flashing "Service Engine" light after fillup?