General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problem

I have an electrical problem with my camaro. Sometimes the car starts and sometimes it does not. I turn the key and nothing happens, no power to anything. I have to take out the key and try again and it will start up. Sometimes the gauge cluster goes crazy and doesnt show rpms, sometimes speed, and all gauges. Could it be my battery? The previous owner installed an amp in the car but it seems as if he did it himself. Any suggestions to what it could be would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Pull the amp out, check all the factory wiring for damage.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:01 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Unfortunately wiring problems are a real pain to track down. I would check all the wiring you think may have been worked on, especially anything going to and from the main battery terminals. I would also check all the grounds coming off the motor, sometimes if those are loose or damaged the car will have a lot of random issues.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds like low amperage from your battery. That will cause your gauges to go all crazy.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Any suggestions to battery brands? I work at autozone and see too many duralast batttery returned! I will try that and then check the wiring if its not solved.

Also, if I choose to check the wiring will running the original speaker wire and removing amp (and accessories) be difficult? I want to be stock and right now it was a thick cable for power running to the amp. It seems to suck alot of power out!
Old 11-18-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

battery brands are mostly all the same. What you want to look for is the manufacture date on the battery and get one that's only a month or two old rather than one that's been self discharging for 4+ months. And with any new battery you want to put it on a charger before using it to get it at 100% capacity, but don't put it on a 2amp charger overnight and cook the battery. What happens with most people is they get a battery that's been sitting at the store and has self discharged to 50%, then run it in a piece of crap car where it doesn't get properly charged and then the battery craps out in short time.

i would first check the battery, or see if the problem happens with knowing you have a good battery or have a charger hooked up. If the problem happens when voltage is good, then I'd begin looking into the ignition key cylinder from the symptoms you described (key to run = nothing happens) and the wiring to the key switch. Previous wiring work could've broken the connection between main power and the ignition switch.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

Thanks man! I will take the battery to get tested! I hope it is the battery and not the wiring...crossing my fingers
Old 11-19-2011, 02:09 AM
On The Tree

I want to rewire my camaro to stock specs. I dont want the amp. Will it be difficult rewiring the speakers and power?