General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Water in the trunk '00 Z28 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Water in the trunk '00 Z28 convertible

Good morning,

I have a 2000 Z28 convertible that is getting wet in the trunk and dampening the "package tray" and rear carpet when it rains. This is driving me insane because the car is perfect other than this issue and I know how destructive water can be to a car. I've only had the car for about six months, and this is the only convertible I've owned, so I really don't know where to start looking. The top is in good shape, the weatherstripping and so forth all looks good; it seems that the entire car would be filled with water if the convertible top well wasn't draining...WTF?

Any ideas would be very welcome as this is really pissing me off.

Thanks

C
Old 12-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my mom had a sebring that held water like that ,one day she hit the brakes and it all rushed into the car,after she got it all fixed we heard water again, i drilled a few holes where i thought it was holding water, that fixed it, i would for sure get it fixed asap,nothing worse than water!
Old 12-10-2011, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

I am with you, man; just not sure where to look...
Old 12-10-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Smoke,

How do you usually park your car in the rain? Do you park on a slope? I had this same problem with my car. Water was getting past the weatherstripping even though it looked good because I would park slightly downhill. The drains on the side of the hatch would fill up and water got past the seal and went into the trunk. Mine is a hardtop so things work a little differently, but water also got into the cab underneath my back seats and even the passenger footwells.

I pulled the weatherstripping and used a product made by 3M to properly seal the weatherstripping. The glue that GM uses from the factory is worthless, at least in my car. My car was so bad that I ended up pulling the entire interior to dry everything out. I haven't had any problems with rain since and I make sure to park my car on a level surface or in the garage.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

your going to have to use a hose with a shower head nozzle preferably, spray it on sections of the car until you find leak or find where the water is following a path to your trunk.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Clean your rain gutters also. I had rain water in my trunk once when I got the car.
I just pushed the weather stripping in and didn't see any rain more rain water.
I 'd also advice to clean out your rain gutters since it seems it hasn't been done for a while.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info and suggestions, guys; I appreciate it. I just finished the car shelter, so she's inside now and will be in a friend's garage for a couple of months this winter (we're going to drop the engine and trans out for a little refresher) so hopefully that'll get everything nicely dried out. I'd get somebody in the trunk with a flashlight and hit her with the hose but there's no room. I'll check the gutters / drains / weatherstripping over again and see what I can find.

C
Old 12-12-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smokeshow72
Thanks for the info and suggestions, guys; I appreciate it. I just finished the car shelter, so she's inside now and will be in a friend's garage for a couple of months this winter (we're going to drop the engine and trans out for a little refresher) so hopefully that'll get everything nicely dried out. I'd get somebody in the trunk with a flashlight and hit her with the hose but there's no room. I'll check the gutters / drains / weatherstripping over again and see what I can find.

C
If you are going to let it sit, I would go buy some desiccant from Home Depot. This will remove moisture from the air and should help things dry out. I think it's sold under the name Damp-Rid. It's basically a bag with some desiccant inside that will absorb moisture, the one I had came with a hanger so you can hang it up in the trunk. This will keep the trunk from getting that mildew smell.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Look for the rear window glass separating from the top
fabric (starts with a small gap). Urethane windshield
adhesive will fix it.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Loyola: thanks for the suggestion, I have some of that stuff in there

Jimmy: I do see a small gap there, I will try to fix it up and see what happens; thanks!

C

Quick Reply: Water in the trunk '00 Z28 convertible