General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Gas not going into tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 300 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Gas not going into tank

Well just a few minutes ago I went to go fill up my car so I can leave town for the weekend, so I put the nozzle into the car and when I started pumping it, it immediately cut off, so I pumped it a few more times and then all of the gas I just pumped starts spewing out around the nozzle, going all down the side of my car and on the ground. So I take out the nozzle and there is still gas sitting just outside the valve. So I pushed the valve to drain it, but it wouldn't go down into the tank.

Keep in mind that my SES light has been on all week, throwing code p0440 (evap system).

Could it have just been a faulty pump? Or do you guys have any other ideas?
Old 01-27-2012, 03:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pop your hood and look at where the fuel line goes into the evap system and into your throttle body. There is a small green cap that looks like a tire stem cap and functions the same way. Take that off and press the stem like you would to let air out of your tires. It could take a minute so just keep it pressed down with a screwdriver or key (don't do it forcefully or you could mess it up) When it stops letting out air, you can fill up your tank.

Check the fuse for the evap because I think that is a circuit code not the evap itself. There is air built up in your tank that is causing that flap in your filler neck not to open.

GL man.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

It worked! Thanks a lot man.

Now which fuse is the one for the evap? I didn't see one on either fuse block.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not sure tbh. If you don't find it I'll look tom night
Old 01-31-2012, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Well the SES light actually went off for about 3 days, and it just came back last night.

EDIT: I drove >260 miles with out it coming on btw
Old 02-28-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had the evap code tuned to no error reported when I had it tuned because I didn't have a fitting for it with my manifold. I just unplugged it so it never functions.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:10 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CoreyD
Well the SES light actually went off for about 3 days, and it just came back last night.

EDIT: I drove >260 miles with out it coming on btw
Yeah so there's something amiss in the EVAP system; those things are a bitch to track down. I had the same thing happen in my old Dodge-turns out that one of the vent lines was plugged up and keeping air trapped in the tank...
Old 02-29-2012, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea. I hate that. Caught me off guard the other day at the pump. And I was on way to meet with a girl. Some fuel landed on my shoe and pants. Not cool. But I fixed it. Filled up and left reaking of gasoline.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Staging Lane

I ran into this problem on a co-workers Cavalier. Turned out to be the purge solenoid for the Evap system. Think the technical name was canister purge solenoid. IIRC it was like an $80 part. Her not wanting to spend that kind of money for it, I unhooked the hose from the gas tank going to the charcoal canister. That fixed the problem well enough for her. Slight smell of gas on warmer days...like an old pre-emissions vehicle. If you go this route, put one of those clear fuel filters (for carb'd applications) on the hose to act as a breather/filter.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default help

So ive had this problem, with p0440. Im on E. I put the nozzle in and it immediately shuts off, as if the tank was full. Fuel then pours out of the nozzle, and out from underneath. What can be causing this.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Same deal they mentioned earlier. Your EVAP system isn't functioning correctly. Either a purge valve solenoid or one of the lines to it is probably plugged up and not allowing the tank to vent.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Where should i start? Ive never had to deal with this before, and this is the only thread that closely follows the issue that ive found
Old 04-01-2014, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Probably the vacuum lines going to the purge valve solenoid that sits next to the intake manifold. They could be plugged up. Unfortunately, everything goes to the top of the fuel tank, so getting to the fuel vent and the charcoal canister could be quite a pain in the ***.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-question.html

That thread might help.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

I thought i read somewhere that the canister sits behind the read driver whwel well? Ive already done the trap door mod for replacing my duel pumpso its only just a pain to get to it if its on top of the tank. Are there pics as to what this stuff looks like? I saw one pic of a charcoal canister and it looks like one of those propane bottles.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

the canister is in the rear driver side wheel well under a plastic cover. most likely the canster cracked and put the charcoal through the system and into the vacuum lines. i would start by taking the canister out and checking if its cracked or not. shake it around to see if all them little bits of charcoal start falling out. if it is replace the canister and blow out the lines you should be good to go
Old 04-02-2014, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mab6680
the canister is in the rear driver side wheel well under a plastic cover. most likely the canster cracked and put the charcoal through the system and into the vacuum lines. i would start by taking the canister out and checking if its cracked or not. shake it around to see if all them little bits of charcoal start falling out. if it is replace the canister and blow out the lines you should be good to go
Depends on what year the car is. If it is a metal tank car (98 and prior), it will be in the rear driver wheel well. That's where it is on my LT1 car at least. On my 99 LS1 car, which has a plastic fuel tank, it sits on top of the fuel tank. All the other things mentioned are definitely possible. The charcoal canisters definitely get old and start breaking down into the vacuum lines.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

i didnt know learn something new evey day...lol...that that sucks if its on top of the tank the whole job on my 97 lt1 took less then an hour
Old 04-02-2014, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mab6680
i didnt know learn something new evey day...lol...that that sucks if its on top of the tank the whole job on my 97 lt1 took less then an hour
Yeah it's way more accessible on the metal tanks. Super easy like you said. Plastic tanks......not so much.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 85CamaroZ28
Pop your hood and look at where the fuel line goes into the evap system and into your throttle body. There is a small green cap that looks like a tire stem cap and functions the same way. Take that off and press the stem like you would to let air out of your tires. It could take a minute so just keep it pressed down with a screwdriver or key (don't do it forcefully or you could mess it up) When it stops letting out air, you can fill up your tank.

Check the fuse for the evap because I think that is a circuit code not the evap itself. There is air built up in your tank that is causing that flap in your filler neck not to open.

GL man.
I had this problem with my Firebird. Now my mom is having the same problem with her 96 Chrysler Sebring. I don't see a tire stem valve under the hood like on my Firebird. Anyone know how it can be fixed on a Sebring?
Old 06-07-2014, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had this happen to me, Don't have any of the Evap system on the car anymore so I don't even where to begin to look. I thought someone had shoved a rag down the fuel filler

Quick Reply: Gas not going into tank