General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Turn signal wont cancel. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 12:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal wont cancel. Please help.

I have 2002 SS Camaro. Turn signal only cancels manually or if I make a uturn to either side. meaning if I turn the wheel all the way to either side. I bought the turn switch (circle that goes inside the column) from dealer. I don't know what else it can be. I don't think it's the lever bc the canceling mechanism (the switch i bought from dealer) was already replaced. I looked in different forums but no luck. Please help.

Last edited by dplanet21; 04-08-2013 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

So, the wheel only cancels if you turn it all the way?

What have you installed so far? BTW - You don't need a new switch or lever.

The canceling is controlled by two parts:
- The canceling springs. (Replacements = $3.99 from any parts store.)
- The turn signal cam. (Replacements = under $10 from any parts store.)

See steps 16-20. If you replace the springs and cam, the canceling mechanism be as good as new.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...mn-repair.html
Old 04-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Thanks for ur reply. I changed the turn signal switch and the cam as well depicted in steps 16-20. The switch came with new springs. I paid 80 bucks at the dealer. The cam was bought new too. That's why I'm confused. I feel like buying lever itself, but I think I'd be wasting money since i can't return an electrical part. Any other suggestions? I truly appreciate any help.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Oh and yes... It only cancels when I turn wheel all the way to either side. Meaning if I make a uturn, it cancels out when wheel is centered. If I switch lanes or even make a normal left or right hand turn, it doesn't cancel. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Save the manuals!

What was the original problem? It sounds like something is wrong with your new parts. My guess its probably the wrong cam.

If you take the steering wheel off and the lock plate over the cam, you can put the turn signal on and turn the cam on the shaft by hand. You should see if the two lobes on the cam are contacting the canceling springs at all. If you have the wrong cam, those lobes may not be hitting the springs.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Thanks again. The original problem is column was broken. I replaced the column and everything works fine, except turn signal won't cancel. I bought cam at dealer. Maybe I'll try kragens cam to see if the part is the same and to see if it works with that one. The column did come from salvage yard. So i thought changing the switch and cam would work. But it hasnt. Do u think the lever, since it was used had anything to do with it? Becase if kragens cam doesn't fix problem, I'm running out of options... Thanks
Old 04-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by dplanet21
The column did come from salvage yard.
No worries. The column is a legacy GM design and the turn signal switch hasn't changed since the 60's - really. When they added air bags, all the new parts were put at the top of the column. Everything deep in the column is time tested - which is why the parts are so common and inexpensive.)

The cam did change at some point and I've had cams/springs not match up before. This is a common thing - at least for me. Just match up the cam with my picture #17 and post some of yours back when you take the wheel off. Once you are in the state of disassembly in step #17, you should be able to diagnose the problem and get it fixed. Just turn the cam manually and see how it engages the springs. You could also have springs installed incorrectly.

You know - the more I think about it - that might be your problem. If the springs aren't in correctly, the cam might not be engaging them until it comes all the way around.

Do u think the lever, since it was used had anything to do with it?
No no no no. As far as the turn signal is concerned, its just a lever that moves the switch inside the column. This lever design hasn't changed since cave men roamed the earth. With the steering wheel off - if moving the lever causes the switch to move and "click" on, then everything is hooked up and working properly.

The only time that lever will cause you an issue is with the windshield wiper switch. If your wipers are good - you are all good as far as the lever is concerned.

Becase if kragens cam doesn't fix problem, I'm running out of options...
They should sell the cam under the Dorman brand. It should be labeled as a generic GM part.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks. I'll try ur suggestions this week. If u think of anything else, please let me know. I'll let u know in about a week if I was able to fix it. Ur a cool dude. May god repay u with many blessings.

Quick Reply: Turn signal wont cancel. Please help.