General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

T/A headlight problem driving me crazy (not grinding problem)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T/A headlight problem driving me crazy (not grinding problem)

Hey Everyone, So recently my headlights starting acting up. If i turn them on to low beam both the pass side lights come on super dim and driver side both come on also but with normal brightness. When i flip it on brights the passenger side goes completely off and driver side works fine. i cant help to think this is a ground issue, but i have checked the grounds on the radiator support and they are fine. What could be the problem! Also the fuses looked fine under the hood
Old 06-01-2013, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

Might sound dumb but try disconnecting/reconnecting both sides headlights, I was having the same problem and everything checked out, wiggled the connections around a little bit and haven't had a problem since.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Bad connection, check the wire/connection going to your lamps, if no improvment check the big connector under the headlight unit.

Attached Thumbnails T/A headlight problem driving me crazy (not grinding problem)-headlight-xx.jpg  
Old 06-02-2013, 07:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies guys. I have messed with both of those connections you all mentioned with no luck!
Old 06-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Look in the connectors. Is there any corrosion? That could be creating a short.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys. Went back and unplugged the main connector for that side and did notice some corrosion and cleandd it up some. All is good now!
Old 03-25-2014, 11:57 AM
Teching In

I have that same problem too so I searched and searched for a solution and found the driver side main plug a little green. I cleaned it all up and now I have absolutly nothing on the drivers side. I got the light to come on once and I thought all was good but I noticed that it didnt pop up. so Now i'm trying to figure out why it wont pop up. In that process I lost the driver side light all together. no low beam, no high, no motor. I am thinking the headlight module took a crap but Idk. I dont want to spend a ton of money on a new module just to find out it wasnt it.
I'm stumped!
Old 03-25-2014, 02:21 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by cumminsmannow
I have that same problem too so I searched and searched for a solution and found the driver side main plug a little green. I cleaned it all up and now I have absolutly nothing on the drivers side. I got the light to come on once and I thought all was good but I noticed that it didnt pop up. so Now i'm trying to figure out why it wont pop up. In that process I lost the driver side light all together. no low beam, no high, no motor. I am thinking the headlight module took a crap but Idk. I dont want to spend a ton of money on a new module just to find out it wasnt it.
I'm stumped!
You probably just need to get in there more and clean better. The thing is what once you unplug the connector, the genie is out of the bottle. The wires that did work were making contact over a very small bare sliver of metal. If you don't get all that corrosion off and the contacts re-connect off that tiny sliver, electricity won't flow well.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:58 PM
Launching!

Try going to a 0 gauge big 3 kit upgrade
Old 04-01-2014, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Default Same issue

Originally Posted by trey1010
Thanks guys. Went back and unplugged the main connector for that side and did notice some corrosion and cleandd it up some. All is good now!
How did you clean three corrosion?
Old 04-01-2014, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 5 pin weather pack connectors for the lights and headlight motor are notoriously crap. I just replaced the connectors all together with new ones.

Also for the other guy, if by chance your headlight module is bad, you can get a good used one from Hawks third gen parts for $50. The are a sponsor I think. They have a web site and an ebay store too.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by trey1010
What did you do to clean it up? I need to do this also.

Quick Reply: T/A headlight problem driving me crazy (not grinding problem)