General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power steering cooler replacment

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering cooler replacment

Guys I have the classic issue of power steering fluid mixing with my coolant. I'm looking at swapping an aftermarket cooler to remedy the situation. My question:

Regarding the 2 hoses that currently engage with the coolant. Can I just use a single hose and run it to itself? I saw in the thread below that some people were using two individual hoses and clamping them off. It just seems to make more sense to me to use a single hose. thanks in advance.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...success-2.html
Old 08-03-2013, 03:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You mean the two hoses that connect to the stock cooler? I would think you should be able to connect them to each other without issues.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:23 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 328 Likes on 300 Posts

I think you were reading about some people who had low pressure p/s fluid hoses and had to splice a longer lenght on them. The coolant hoses both come off and should be replaced by the one-piece hose made for non-cooler cars.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:32 AM
Teching In

Okay guys thanks for the responses. I was just looking for the absolute cheapest way to fix the issue. I suppose I should just buy the one piece to replace it as suggested.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:11 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by ChewMT
I was just looking for the absolute cheapest way to fix the issue.
The absolute cheapest way would be to remove the PS hoses from the stock cooler, cut down the hose coming up from the steering rack and connect it directly to the PS reservior (this will now be identicle to the factory setup on the earlier non-SS/WS6 cars).

You can then block off the PS connection ports (I used some left over PS hose, worm gear clamps and short bolts) on the cooler and just leave it in the radiator hose as a pass-thru.

If you already have the clamps and bolts, this would be a 100% free method. It doesn't get any cheaper than this, and the issue will be solved. This is exactly how mine is currently setup, and will remain that way until I feel that the radiator hose needs to be replaced (then I will get the older '98-'99 one-piece style).
Old 08-04-2013, 09:03 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 328 Likes on 300 Posts

+1 ^

If you want to get out of the stock cooler for the least cost, just delete it.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Just deleted the factory cooler and added an aftermarket one. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

You can connect the two hoses with no problems. I had to run my car like that for a littile while to get me out of a jam. I have since just bypassed the stock cooler and got an aftermarket one and placed it in front of the rad. Looks sweet, cools 10x better and no more mixing with coolant!

Quick Reply: Power steering cooler replacment