General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Center console mounting

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Center console mounting

Wondering if someone could help me out. I have a 99 WS6 and i think the previous owner had removed the center console but did not put it back in correctly or something. It's all loose at the front where it fits under the a/c controls and the ashtray lid doesn't seem to want to spring closed all the way. Not sure what he did, but i was wondering if someone could tell me where these consoles are screwed down? Are there hold down clips at the front as well as other places? I didn't want to start buggaring around with it in case I break something. The tabs on the TCS coverplate are also broken and it doesn't clip in to properly.
I did do a search, but didn't find a post showing or talking about how the console is secured down with the exception of the screws under the ashtray and in the storage bin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

theres 2 10mm bolts on the front and 1 on the inside of the bottom piece, and 2 more 10mm bolts right on the inside of the arm rest. Both the top and bottom of the console fit into place so there shouldnt be any issues if its in correctly.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the response. The front of the console i can literally pick it up an flop it around at the very front. The further back area's seem to be secured (IE storage compatment area, etc.)
Are the 10mm bolts at th front easily accessible? I'm a big guy and don't want to get down in there and then get stuck. LOL
Old 09-11-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Naw they should be easily accessible. Two in the front, one under the ash tray, two more under the coin holder and two more in the console storage area.

Also as for you TCS, your clip might be broken, mine broke too but luckily I found the piece that broke off when I took my console off, super glued it on and now it fits securely.

Before:

After:

100th post
Old 12-11-2015, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it would be awesome if these pictures still existed
Old 12-13-2015, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

the center console is fairly easy to remove.
the piece over the shifter is easy, 2 screws using 7mm socket is only thing holding that down, they are located where the change thing is.
turn the shifter ball counterclockwise to remove, if it's oem and never been removed then it'll take a little effort. once those two screws and shifter **** are off, the top center piece comes right off.
at most there's 2 retaining clips that need to break free, so you left straight up to get them to come out- you don't want to twist left to right otherwise you'll break those plastic standoffs.

for the big center console piece, you need the ebrake handle straight up (see pic). there's like 5 bolts needing 10mm socket that hold the center console in place, see pics, they are pretty easy to find.

disregard the wiring mess, that's my fan switch and oil temperature gauge wiring.
Attached Thumbnails Center console mounting-a2.jpg   Center console mounting-a3.jpg   Center console mounting-a42.jpg   Center console mounting-a5.jpg   Center console mounting-a6.jpg  

Center console mounting-a82.jpg  
Old 04-08-2016, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the Pics man!
Old 05-05-2016, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the pics!

Quick Reply: Center console mounting