General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Bang!!!! Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 01:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bang!!!! Help

I'm going to try an explain this the best way I can I'm getting frustrated cuz I can't find the issue.... My car is an a4 98 trans am with 43k miles.... When I put my car in reverse I get a clunk/tink sound when I'm driving an i start to brake from any speed I get a clunk sounds like from the rear when it downshifts but this is the most noticeable and annoying today I went into a parking lot at my job I drove to the back where employee parking is. So as I'm driving I turn right an i let off the gas while the car is slowly declerating by itself when it hit about 8-10 mph I got the loudest pop/bang sound like the whole rear of the car was going to fall off I notice this happens only when I drive slow and I let it shift or downshift watever other than that car runs perfect smooth on the freeway no vibration no noise nothing only at these low speeds and for some reason no place I take it can find anything...wat the hell is going on an it doesn't sound like transmission it's in the mid to back section an I just had the differntial serviced new pinion seal and gear oil FYI
Old 09-29-2013, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did they add the posi additive to the gear oil???? check with that first, if not go get a bottle of GM posi additive and put it in the rear

if there is the additive in there jack up the rear of the car and put trans in neutral and spin the wheels by hand and listen for any noise or binding, check the drive shaft u joints, check the tranny mount also
Old 09-29-2013, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

Those were the two things I think might be it it's this driveshaft u joints or maybe a mount but supposbly they did a visual inspection but I don't beeline they really checked so ima take it somewhere else...
Old 09-29-2013, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Might sound crazy, but check anyways........ See if your lug nuts are tight. I had similar issues on my lightning. Put in reverse and get a clunk.... Get a clunk at low speed. Checked rear lugs and they were hand tight This was about a month after I got new tires. Something to check
Old 09-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Blownbayou
Might sound crazy, but check anyways........ See if your lug nuts are tight. I had similar issues on my lightning. Put in reverse and get a clunk.... Get a clunk at low speed. Checked rear lugs and they were hand tight This was about a month after I got new tires. Something to check
I just had my oil change and I got free tire rotation they tighten everything. But thanx for the input
Old 09-29-2013, 02:01 PM
Launching!

I agree with what someone said above - sounds like a transmission mount. Mine did the same thing. The mount was ripped completely in half. Only 43k miles? Wow. Car is just broke in.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZForce1
I agree with what someone said above - sounds like a transmission mount. Mine did the same thing. The mount was ripped completely in half. Only 43k miles? Wow. Car is just broke in.
Did your car run smooth under normal driving conditions? I'm just wondering cuz the only time I have the problem it seem like is when I'm coming to a stop or accelerating from a stop! And when I went to the shop they said they visually inspected the tranny mount an it (looked) fine
Old 09-29-2013, 10:52 PM

Had the same problem on mine, replacing the trans mount took care of it. Turned out the mount was completely trashed, ripped almost all the way through.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

You can't always tell just by visually looking at it. Mine looked fine but when I used a prybar on it it was in two pieces.

Quick Reply: Bang!!!! Help