General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Turn signal out.. Burnt socket?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal out.. Burnt socket?

The other day when I went to engage my turn signal I noticed it wasn't blinking on my dash it was just a steady on. The other side was fine so I assumed it was just a bulb failure. I went to replace it yesterday and when I took it out (front driver side) the socket looked to be burnt pretty good. Enough to turn black! Anyone know why it would do this? this is on a 98 Z28 just so ya know lol
Old 06-20-2012, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well for one the bulbs are always on. A lot of heat in the housings. Moisture in the socket can also cause this. Just replace the socket and be done with it. They are cheap and easy to find.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy them at Autozone, pepboys and the rest for about $6-7
Old 06-20-2012, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

Another fix is to spray a good amount of silicone spray in the socket, let the goo run out, take a wire brush and clean, then use a dremel or drill with an abrasive attatchment and hit the socket connections until you see fresh material. Then die electric grease and you're done. Thanks for the previous responses. Next time, I'll get new sockets.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Ok I'll just go to my local parts store and get a new socket. Thanks for the fast responses.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:46 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinBigD88
Ok I'll just go to my local parts store and get a new socket. Thanks for the fast responses.

You don't want to do that, yet. It could be a lot things other than a socket that you should check first. All of the sockets are charred - that doesn't mean they are "bad." First, you should check:
- Bad bulb in the front
- Bad bulb in the rear
- Bad flasher

What happens when you turn on your hazards? Do all your bulbs light up?
Old 06-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Teching In

I tried a new bulb in it And it still wouldn't work. My hazard flashers won't light it up either. It's like the high side just doesn't have any power. The low side works fine. I also have my DRL disabled if that would have anything to do with it.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Save the manuals!

I tried a new bulb in it And it still wouldn't work. My hazard flashers won't light it up either. It's like the high side just doesn't have any power. The low side works fine. I also have my DRL disabled if that would have anything to do with it.
With the hazards on, do the rear lights flash? If so and if the builb was changed, that would be an indication that there is likely a problem with the socket.

I assume you disabled the DRL and the other side of the car still flashes, right? The flashing is also controlled by the DRL module. Its possible that the problem could be there, but its not as likely.

Instead of splicing in a new socket, you should look at using no-splice method to fix the contacts.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Ok, I just tried my hazard lights and they all work except the one that's been giving me trouble. When I disabled the DRL I just unplugged the box behind my CD player. They worked fine until about a week ago so It makes me think it's just the socket. I checked my local stores and it seems to be a dealer only part. I assume the no splice method is just cleaning the socket and connections like CopMagnet suggested?
Old 06-22-2012, 06:38 AM
Save the manuals!

When I disabled the DRL I just unplugged the box behind my CD player.
... That's not the DRL module...

See post #25 here for a splice-less procedure: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ing-ideas.html

Ordering the individual parts takes a little experience and effort. If you buy a pigtail, it will be more expensive, but you can disassemble it in to its parts and then discard the wires that came with the pigtail.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had to replace mine a second time.

Quick Reply: Turn signal out.. Burnt socket?