General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

About to roll car off cliff

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to roll car off cliff

As you can tell from the title, my car has been pissing me off.
Not 5 minutes ago, I started up the Z, and left. When I stated it, the volts gauge was reading low (about 9-10) and figured the battery was low because I let it sit a few days. Im driving down the road, all of my lights are dim. Headlights, dash lights, everything. I turn around, and start to head home. The lights keep getting dimmer and dimmer, then the car starts to miss and backfire, and eventually die. I push it into the neighbor's driveway, and it take about 10 minutes with jumper cables on my battery to get it started again.

As I was limping it home, I could watch my volts gauge drop. FAST. I took ot out of gear, and then the volts would return to normal. Put it back in gear, volts drop fast again.

As of now, it's sitting in my garage charging. I did some investigating, and my serp belt is loose. So loose that I can make one side touch the other where the alt is.

Im guessing its not getting proper charge due to the loose belt tension. It kinda makes sense...

What do you all think? ( I have a new serp. belt, just haven't put it on yet.)
Will change plugs while im there also.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow,,ya do a new belt.check the tensioner and make sure the pulleys are in decent shape
Old 10-15-2013, 12:15 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,279 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Not sure that a new belt will be enough. Sounds like the tensioner is shot as well, if the belt is THAT loose....
Old 10-15-2013, 09:44 AM

I know it sounds silly but make sure you got the correct one. I did this before. Got one a little too big and it wouldn't charge for obvious reasons. If that doesn't fix it id say your due for a new tensioner pulley.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

I just got back from the parts shop and put a new belt on. The new belt is a bit longer than the old one... But it fits (for the most part, it barely hangs on the tensioner pulley!) when I run it around the outer crank pulley...

The old one is shorter than the new one. the new one fits when I run it on the (bigger) crank pulley. Did the parts guy get me the wrong one? Maybe he gave me one for an LS1 insted of an LT1?
Old 10-15-2013, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

The old worn out one fits when I put it around the inner crank pulley thingamajig.

Maybe I have an underdrive pulley? Thus the need of a shorter belt?
Old 10-15-2013, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Definitely take a look at that tensioner. I wouldn't think that a belt could stretch to that point. I've never actually seen one stretch at all. Have you had the alternator checked as well? Just trying to cover all the bases.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CWallen
Definitely take a look at that tensioner. I wouldn't think that a belt could stretch to that point. I've never actually seen one stretch at all. Have you had the alternator checked as well? Just trying to cover all the bases.
I think you might have it backwards or I was unclear.

The NEW belt is LONGER than the old, worn belt...

I put the old one back on and took it for a little spin. All works well. Volts are normal etc etc...

I think my car might be mental. Or on it's period.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

If it is simply serp belts then go with Goodyear gatorbacks, very tight belts. Like others said your tensioner could be getting loose or the alt is going out.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Man an $8 part plus a $32 tensioner and you're ready to give a car away for free? I hear a bus pass is cheaper than vehicle ownership
Old 10-21-2013, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Man an $8 part plus a $32 tensioner and you're ready to give a car away for free? I hear a bus pass is cheaper than vehicle ownership
It's not so much this one little problem causing me to dislike this car, but a series of little problems

It gets annoying fixing other peoples (the pervious billion owners) hack jobs

Quick Reply: About to roll car off cliff