General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 04-29-2016, 04:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Courtesy lights stay on. BCM??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Courtesy lights stay on. BCM??

Hey guys, last night while getting in the car to head into work my interior lights didn't turn off as they should. All 3 of the, rear view mirror and rear dome lights. I checked the doors and rear hatch to make sure they were all closed, and they were. They stayed on during my whole ride to work. I then pulled the fuse and replaced it, they came back on. The door locks still worked, the lights staying on is the only issue.

Yesterday my wife was driving the car, and after telling her about it she remembers smelling a burning smell. She says it was stronger on the pass side and that she herd some fast clicking noise from there as well. So is this an issue with the BCM, just T-connector needed to be soldered?

Also I read the BCM fix page and after 10+ pages of the same radio/window issue I was about to pull out my hair. I hope this will get the answer I need. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2014, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed mine did this yesterday. The car also experiences the known BCM issues as well and I have a replacement BCM ready to install this weekend. Once installed I will let you know if the interior light issue persists.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is the dimmer turned all the way up?
Old 04-05-2014, 04:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by _JB_
Is the dimmer turned all the way up?
No it's not. I was sure to check all of the obviouse stuff multiple times first. And the radio works fine so it doesn't seem like it would be something in the door making it think it's open.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to ask a dumb question, but is the hatch completely closed? I always found it easier to shut the hatch if a door is open or a window is part of the way down.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Mongoose350
Yesterday my wife was driving the car, and after telling her about it she remembers smelling a burning smell.
This is a dilemma. On one hand, you could make this her fault. On the other hand, bringing that up will acknowledge that you actually listen to her. I usually start with an "I love you... but it's your fault." and use the event as a free pass the next time she wants me to go do something I'm not in to. "Sorry, I don't have the time - had to fix the car..."

I'm not an expert in the RAP (Retained Accessory Power) problem, but all the issues I've seen posted before deal with the power cutting off, not staying on.

First, I'd test the dimmer switch to see if it is leaving the circuit open. My money is on this part melting down before something on the BCM.

You could also test the three door sensors to make sure they are signaling that the doors are shut. (You probably only need to do that with the passenger side because you should get a door chime if your driver's looks ajar and you should get a hatch light on the dash if the hatch is showing open.)

Last edited by wssix99; 04-06-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Door jam switch shorted? Would explain the lights always on if it thinks the door is open.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:59 AM
Launching!

I didnt get a chance to look at it this weekend due to work. I just left the fuse out to keep them off. It's not really a big deal, but it sucks not having the auto locks, not really I'm just used to them. I did check the hatch and doors. The dimmer seems to work, when I scroll it up and down to turn them on they will flash but then just stay on.

I put the fuse back in this morning thinking maybe it was just a fluke. They stayed off untill I turned the key, I took the key out of the ignition and opened then closed the door as if I had gotten out. After the normal delay the lights dimmed to off, they came right back on and stayed on.

Would a door jam switch cause the radio to turn off without the car being on? Because it stays on until I open the door, as usual.

Also, while letting the car warm up this morning, just sitting there with the radio off I could hear a click from under the pass side dash. It was consistant, about every 10 secs. The fuse was still out at the time.

Where is the door sensor? It won't hurt to check it out.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:42 AM
Save the manuals!

It sounds like your RAP and door sensors are working properly, with the radio and diming lights working in concert with your doors.

The dimmer seems to work, when I scroll it up and down to turn them on they will flash but then just stay on.
The dimmer wheel is actually two siamese devices. One does the dimming as the wheel rolls, which seems to work. The other is a regular switch, which is triggered when the wheel goes to the limit position. In order to really test this, you'd need to take the switch out and use an electrical tester.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:00 AM
Save the manuals!

I took the key out of the ignition and opened then closed the door as if I had gotten out. After the normal delay the lights dimmed to off, they came right back on and stayed on.
I tried this sequence on my car last night with the dimmer switch full-on and the lights never dimmed. So, maybe its no the dimmer switch, but it should still be easy to confirm if you have a tester.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sometimes if I move my key around in the ignition the lights will turn on. This only happens when the ignition is in lock or accessory though.

Quick Reply: Courtesy lights stay on. BCM??