General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Lung infection from car AC!! Help before I die!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 12:34 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Lung infection from car AC!! Help before I die!!

Ok, I'm not going to die, but I did just find out that I have a bad lung infection, possibly valley fever or pneumonia.
My car is the likely culprit. Since I bought it last month, sometimes when I turn on the AC, the dust/mold smell is so bad that I literally can't breathe until it goes away in a couple minutes.

My question is what exactly do I need to take apart and clean? And any tips on how to do it? Also, does anyone know why it only does it after the car has been sitting for several hours? I can't figure that last one out...
Old 09-18-2014, 03:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could try a couple things, they've got these "bug bomb" like things for cars now to give that "new car" scent and the instructions say to run the air on high when you set it off, see if those have anything to kill bacteria.

or the better place to start is to get into the under side of the passenger side of the dash and start pulling things apart, in that area is the evaporator and fan along with a drain pan and tube for removing the water that collects from the evaporator, if the drain tube is clogged then you could get water build of there which could lead to that.

there is also this option:

Last edited by Daniel Richards; 09-18-2014 at 03:31 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Agree, with previous, make sure the drain is not clogged. While the AC is running, check under the car for a puddle or drip on the passenger side near the firewall.

You could also spray Lysol into the system. The system intake is under the passenger side of the dash. Do this while the system is running.

Last one, two minutes before you stop and turn off the engine, turn off the AC compressor but leave the fan running. This will allow the evaporator to dry a little.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The auto parts stores sell a spray specifically designed to kill the bacteria in car AC systems that grow on wet, damp surfaces. Follow the instructions, especially the air setting-not on MAX, you want to draw the spray in- and it should work for you.

I do what bgw70 does every time I shut off the AC - turn it off a few blocks before parking- and my system seems to be smell free for the most part.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

thats why i always have my vent running so everything stays dry.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:58 AM
Launching!

You guys rock! I'll bet that drain tube is plugged, seeing as how this car was a dusty mess - with that super fine beach sand type dirt - when I bought it. Think the lysol/spray idea is worth a try too. Thanks fellas!

Final question: On MAX AC it draws air into the intake on the passenger side, recirculating the cabin air, right? On regular AC where does it pull in the outside air from?
Old 09-18-2014, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

drop the blower motor too make sure there is not creeping around in there. like people have said, they sell cleaner that you can spray into the intake vent to clean the system out
Old 09-18-2014, 01:11 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by big_g
My car is the likely culprit.
This would be really rare, but if this is the case, then you've got larger problems than a magic spray can resolve. Where do you live and what type of environment is the car kept in? Is there any chance you have standing water in the HVAC system?

I'd get a hold of a boroscope and look at the HVAC ducts to see what is going on in there. If you smell mold, you probably have mold.

If you want something more than a spray, you can call a service that cleans up dead bodies and other biohazards, like Aftermath. They should be able to get rid of the entire problem for you permanently
Old 09-18-2014, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

You guys rock! I'll bet that drain tube is plugged, seeing as how this car was a dusty mess - with that super fine beach sand type dirt - when I bought it. Think the lysol/spray idea is worth a try too. Thanks fellas!

Final question: On MAX AC it draws air into the intake on the passenger side, recirculating the cabin air, right? On regular AC where does it pull in the outside air from?
If you need to clean the drain tube, you may need to run something up that tube and just be careful not to force anything...you do not want any damage. Youtube has plenty of videos on how to clean an AC drain line! Watch at least three to observe different techniques.

When on regular AC, the air is drawn from the area just forward of the windshield wipers, it is a black grill and you can look down into it.

Go back and watch the youtube video from the second post...that guy actually sprays the Lysol into that area for safety reasons. If you spray it when you are inside the car you may breathe too many Lysol fumes...

I may be wrong but you most likely have a clogged drain line, focus on that first!

Let us know the outcome!
Old 09-18-2014, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
This would be really rare, but if this is the case, then you've got larger problems than a magic spray can resolve. Where do you live and what type of environment is the car kept in? Is there any chance you have standing water in the HVAC system?

I'd get a hold of a boroscope and look at the HVAC ducts to see what is going on in there. If you smell mold, you probably have mold.

If you want something more than a spray, you can call a service that cleans up dead bodies and other biohazards, like Aftermath. They should be able to get rid of the entire problem for you permanently
I bought the car from a guy in Florence, AZ, which is a hotbed for Valley Fever. His dad was the original owner and he died two years ago and the car sat until his mom could bear to sell it. It was covered in super fine dust inside and out. In fact, the first time I smelled the AC I went inside and told my wife those fumes were going to jack up my lungs... I got sick about a week or two after buying it. If my blood tests come back positive, then I'm going to have to find someone to sanitize the system so my wife/kids don't ride in there and get sick too.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:30 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

^ A+ If it's dangerous bacteria at play, I'd expect there to be standing water.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:38 PM
TECH Regular

Max AC recirculates the cabin air, does not draw from the cowl area where these sprays are typically discharged. The idea is the spray will be drawn through the entire system, killing the bacteria. If the AC is set to Recirc or Max, little or no outside air is drawn into the cabin.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought the car from a guy in Florence, AZ, which is a hotbed for Valley Fever. His dad was the original owner and he died two years ago and the car sat until his mom could bear to sell it. It was covered in super fine dust inside and out. In fact, the first time I smelled the AC I went inside and told my wife those fumes were going to jack up my lungs... I got sick about a week or two after buying it. If my blood tests come back positive, then I'm going to have to find someone to sanitize the system so my wife/kids don't ride in there and get sick too.
Man, I just read up on valley fever and had no idea something like that existed! I have visited the dessert regions of our wonderful country but have always lived in the south and southeastern part of the country. I always thought mold would not grow very well in a dry region but I was very wrong and learning took place tonight!

Your car looks very nice but you may need to get it cleaned professionally if the suggestions everyone gave you do not work!
Old 09-19-2014, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Very easy to fix, but some VINEGAR at the grocey store. Get a gallon, then pull the blower motor out and soak the evaporator with vinegar for a few hours then use vinegar to rince the evaporator. Finally use the garden hose to get in there and flush it out good.

The reason they get moldy is shutting the car off warm with the evaporator wet from using the AC. The heater core sits right next to evaporator, after you turn off the engine the heater core heats the wet evaporator up to the perfect temp for mold to grow. The way to avoid this is always turn off the ac and run it on VENT for a few miles before to shut down. This will dry off the evaporator.

Quick Reply: Lung infection from car AC!! Help before I die!!