General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Vats gone bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vats gone bad?

When i turn my key the security light goes on. I can unlock my doors, but if i try to lock them nothing happens, I push the button three time and the car ding/bongs a few times. turn the key and it doesn't crank. I pulled out my IBCM and checked it for bad solder joints and they all looked good. I've heard the vats will respond to a bad key cylinder like this but If I replace the cylinder I have a 1 out of 15 chance of getting a correct one? a new key cylinder cost about 50-70$ while a new IBCM cost hundreds. Is their some kinda trick o' the trade anyone knows? I'm at my wits end here, has anybody had this happen before?
Old 01-02-2015, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So when you try to lock the doors they don't lock and you get a series of dings? That sounds like what happens when you have the key in the ignition. It's to prevent you from locking your keys in the car. That might point to a bad ignition dinger contact in the steering column.

The ignition cylinder does not read the pellet value, the BCM does. When you order a replacement cylinder, it will come with a blank key cut to the cylinder. Then you bring that key with your old one to the dealer and they cut you a new key with the proper pellet.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, it's a big help
Old 01-02-2015, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're sure you have a VATS problem just do a Google search on how to bypass it, it only cost a few dollars.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Fry_
If you're sure you have a VATS problem just do a Google search on how to bypass it, it only cost a few dollars.
yup, just did the bypass and it works perfectly
Old 01-04-2015, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How hard was it to do bypass?
My problem is every now and then it just won't start until a few attempts. No lights or anything out of ordinary. Hmm
Old 01-04-2015, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sabohead
How hard was it to do bypass? My problem is every now and then it just won't start until a few attempts. No lights or anything out of ordinary. Hmm
Yeah the wiring in the ignition is probably compromised and it won't transfer your keys signal to the bcm and the security light will stay on and you can't start the car..

Vats bypass in a nutshell is to check the resistance for your key with a multimeter, go to radio shack and buy resistors that add up to the same value as your key..

Then just wire them into the little pigtail that connects to the ignition cylinder.. Now your bcm will read the resistor and won't set off the security..

The wiring in the ignition cylinder gets messed up sometime and there's a loss of connection between the keys resistor and the bcm signal pigtail, so basically we're skipping the wiring and connecting directly to the feed wire
Old 01-04-2015, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

Ok. But what if I have no security light on? Then what do I do? Also I cannot program a remote for the keyless entry. Dealership couldnt even do it. I know its something within the security of the system
Thanks for your time Burken01
Old 01-04-2015, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sabohead
Ok. But what if I have no security light on? Then what do I do? Also I cannot program a remote for the keyless entry. Dealership couldnt even do it. I know its something within the security of the system Thanks for your time Burken01
hmm weird, might be a bcm problem then.. Since keyless entry and vats are programmed through the bcm and not the ecu..

You could try the bcm solder trick? Look it up
Old 01-05-2015, 07:41 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you Burken01!

Quick Reply: Vats gone bad?