General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fix the Fluttering Paper Type Noise in Your AC Vents

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fix the Fluttering Paper Type Noise in Your AC Vents

I was getting this intermittent fluttering sound in the AC vents of my 2002 Firebird over near the passenger side. Sounded like a piece of paper or something was blocking the air flow in the system. Yeeeears ago (I'm on my 2nd firebird) when I was under warranty on my first FB, I remember the dealer had to get leaves out of my AC system once. So I remembered the noise and suspected this was the cause once again. Went in to investigate & sure enough - that's what I found. It seems apparently there's a leaf gnome that sits outside and crams oak tree leaves into my AC system while I sleep. I guess he has nothing better to do. I don't know how they're getting in there - but it's easy enough to get them out.

To fix it - you need to get at the blower which is under the dash on the passenger side. First remove the trim panel that runs along the side of your passenger seat at the floor/door. (long skinny piece that is held in by maybe 4 phillips screws. Then you'll need to remove the panel that is under your dash on the passenger side - beneath your glove box. Mine was held in place by three fasteners - pictured here. Two christmas tree style push in fasteners in the seam right beneath the glove compartment and one metal clip that seats around a round peg type protrusion near the floor. (get a flashlight & some pliers to grip it and wiggle it off)

Then here's a look under the dash where the blower sits. It's got an electrical harness that clips on and then the blower is held in place by 3 bolts. So first step - unhook the harness. (actually I always kill the power at my battery first - THEN unhook the harness) As for the little bolts holding the blower in place, I think they were 7mm.... But I can't remember for sure so I apologize if that's wrong. Short little guys - here's a picture of what you're removing.

Once you remove those three bolts get ready to catch because the blower drops right out. Have a look at the little leaves making all that big noise.

Dump 'em out and reassemble!
Old 04-16-2015, 06:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

nice write up .
Old 04-16-2015, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Should have thrown a cabin air filter in there while you had the thing apart. I had one in there for a few years, then I went to clean it and put it back together without putting it back in

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...cares-lol.html
Old 04-16-2015, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up both of you!
Thanks
Old 04-17-2015, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

Neat idea about the air filter! I love the idea of a clean air zone. Any trouble having it hamper the air flow? Are our blowers powerful enough to pull/push the air through? (insert Spaceballs joke here: It's megamaid sir - she's gone from suck to blow!)
Old 04-17-2015, 05:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

there's some discussion about air flow in the thread. Seems like it depends on what filter you get and how good of a seal but I didn't notice any difference.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:02 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm. Didn't know it's THAT easy to remove the blower. I'll be doing that to mine today!
Old 04-19-2015, 12:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by EnergyCC
Hmm. Didn't know it's THAT easy to remove the blower. I'll be doing that to mine today!
Yup - piece of cake! Hardest part is finding a comfortable position to get under that dash.

Quick Reply: Fix the Fluttering Paper Type Noise in Your AC Vents