General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

E Brake Cable Came OFF While Driving Last Night, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E Brake Cable Came OFF While Driving Last Night, Help!

I was heading home from work last night and I heard and felt a loud bang. Like, I ran something over. I pulled over at local gas station right off the freeway and noticed my e brake cable is on the floor. On Sunday, I just installed my new torsen 10 bolt rear end and I don't if it has anything to do with it? Any help on trying to put it back on?

'99 Trans Am A4.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:45 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

We need pictures of the situation. Did you loose the actuating lever on the back plate of the brakes, etc.? is one side still hooked up?
Old 07-27-2015, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
We need pictures of the situation. Did you loose the actuating lever on the back plate of the brakes, etc.? is one side still hooked up?
I found out where they came off. Forgive me if I'm not using the correct terminology or knowing the name but it came off the these little hooks right next to the wheel speed sensor behind the actual wheel on the passenger side and I was playing it with my hand while I was underneath the car doing my gear oil change. I looked closely at the drivers side hook with the e-brake cable on it and it was already hooked on the little hooks. All I need now to move the other part of e-brake cable to the little hook on the passenger side.

Last edited by LTX_Alex; 07-27-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:32 AM
Save the manuals!

The part on the end of the cable is called a "thingie" and the hook is actually a "doohickie."

For the sake of this thread, let's call the lever and hook that comes out the back of the brake back plate an actuating lever. All it needs is a couple of mm of travel and it will set the parking brake.

The parking brake cable should have a round coiled spring on it. Is yours still there? That spring should be covering the oval fitting that goes on to the actuating lever. The spring then puts tension on the whole thing and keeps it attached.

You need to use a pair of vice grips to hold the spring back on the fitting so you can hook the cable back on the lever. When all is well, you let go of the vice grips and "WHAM!" the spring should sinch down on the lever and all should be tight.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:48 PM
Launching!

The part on the end of the cable is called a "thingie" and the hook is actually a "doohickie."

For the sake of this thread, let's call the lever and hook that comes out the back of the brake back plate an actuating lever. All it needs is a couple of mm of travel and it will set the parking brake.

The parking brake cable should have a round coiled spring on it. Is yours still there? That spring should be covering the oval fitting that goes on to the actuating lever. The spring then puts tension on the whole thing and keeps it attached.

You need to use a pair of vice grips to hold the spring back on the fitting so you can hook the cable back on the lever. When all is well, you let go of the vice grips and "WHAM!" the spring should sinch down on the lever and all should be tight.
Lol, yes the spring is still on the line. I will just use a pair of vice grips to get it back on the actuating lever. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:00 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by LTX_Alex
Lol, yes the spring is still on the line. I will just use a pair of vice grips to get it back on the actuating lever. Thanks for the help.

Good luck. It's a pain in the ***. (Which may be why it wasn't on securely to start.) It's one of those things that may take you 45 minutes, gauze, and lots of cursing the first time you do it and then just 3 minutes and some cut knuckles the next time you need to do it.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:20 PM
Launching!

Good luck. It's a pain in the ***. (Which may be why it wasn't on securely to start.) It's one of those things that may take you 45 minutes, gauze, and lots of cursing the first time you do it and then just 3 minutes and some cut knuckles the next time you need to do it.
I was able to put it on, thank you for your help. I have another question though, Why does it feel like it's not stopping at all when I pull the E-brake lever? Like it feels extremely loose.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:09 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by LTX_Alex
I was able to put it on, thank you for your help. I have another question though, Why does it feel like it's not stopping at all when I pull the E-brake lever? Like it feels extremely loose.
You may be out of adjustment. Each side needs to be independently adjusted to the bore of your brake rotors. Maybe this wasn't done during your rear end install?

To do this, you have to take the brake and rotor off, turn the adjusting wheel behind each rotor, put the rotor on, and test. Repeat. The lever on the back plate (that your cable attaches to) should only move 1-3 mm. Once you have both sides adjusted like that, your handle should feel like its tightening up after a few clicks.

Quick Reply: E Brake Cable Came OFF While Driving Last Night, Help!