General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

T- Top Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 03:07 PM
JGL
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T- Top Leaking

Hey guys I noticed today that my rear floor mats in the back were wet anyone know how to seal it correctly. Going to figure out exactly where it is but when I do how do I go about sealing the leak?
Old 09-29-2015, 10:29 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

There are 502 reasons why your floor mats would be wet. The t-tops account for 3 of them.

Is there something that makes you think it's coming from the top and not the window or the hatch?
Old 09-29-2015, 10:30 PM
JGL
Teching In

Figured out where it's leaking from, if you're looking outside at the passenger door the leak is coming from the top left corner of the window
Old 09-29-2015, 10:39 PM
Save the manuals!

You'll want to make sure you don't have this common problem that usually leads to that type of leak: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...dow-guide.html
Old 09-29-2015, 10:44 PM
JGL
Teching In

I'm pretty sure it's the rubber lining
Old 09-30-2015, 08:26 AM
Save the manuals!

Unless someone tried to break in to the car or a dog chewed on your door, the rubber is fine. Problems arise when the glass doesn't contact the rubber in the right way.

This only leaves something in the door being broken or out of adjustment.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JGL
Figured out where it's leaking from, if you're looking outside at the passenger door the leak is coming from the top left corner of the window
Talk about coincidence - My 02 TA just started leaking at the same location as yours. It's been raining here all week, fairly hard, when the car is in motion is when I'll see the water coming in, onto the rear hatch passenger panel and then of course, running down.

Lets keep each other posted on the progress, and hopefully we'll both get our rides leak free by the weekend.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:00 PM
JGL
Teching In

Originally Posted by michaelhawk
Talk about coincidence - My 02 TA just started leaking at the same location as yours. It's been raining here all week, fairly hard, when the car is in motion is when I'll see the water coming in, onto the rear hatch passenger panel and then of course, running down.

Lets keep each other posted on the progress, and hopefully we'll both get our rides leak free by the weekend.
Same over here, lots of rain !
How are you going about it ?
Old 10-01-2015, 08:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JGL
How are you going about it ?
Process of elimination I think:
- Last night I ruled out the window, for the passenger window seals better than the drivers side does.

- Tonight I'll investigate the weather-strip drains.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:54 AM
Save the manuals!

- Last night I ruled out the window, for the passenger window seals better than the drivers side does.
This would make sense on a framed car window, but not on a frame-less window, like we have on the F-bodies. The ONLY things that govern how the glass contacts the weatherstripping is the door hinge/strike, hardware attached to the glass, the hardware attached to the door that interacts with the glass, (in our case, it actually pushes the glass away from the weatherstripping) and the adjustment of all the above.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wssix99
This would make sense on a framed car window, but not on a frame-less window, like we have on the F-bodies. The ONLY things that govern how the glass contacts the weatherstripping is the door hinge/strike, hardware attached to the glass, the hardware attached to the door that interacts with the glass, (in our case, it actually pushes the glass away from the weatherstripping) and the adjustment of all the above.
I guarantee water is not getting into my passengers side area from the lack of the window not sealing enough to my weather stripping. It's coming from someplace else, tonight I have more time to pin point the problem.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:55 AM
Save the manuals!

I guarantee water is not getting into my passengers side area from the lack of the window not sealing enough to my weather stripping. It's coming from someplace else, tonight I have more time to pin point the problem.
I had you confused with the OP.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:32 PM
JGL
Teching In

Well in the mean time, anyone how the best way to get rid of the mildew smell out of the carpet?
Old 10-01-2015, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

- Tonight I'll investigate the weather-strip drains.
- I've verified my t-top "flaps" are all seating and sealing correctly. Here is a great write up with pictures on this issue: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...t-top-fix.html

I've found my problem, and it's probably the same for you!
This link was helpful: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-out-help.html

There is some foam sealing tape under the weather strip, back of the t-top area, right where the small bolt is holding the strip down.

Mine is all but gone, and creating the leak into the car. There is more of the foam sealing tape down lower on the side, at the screw holding the weather strip in place.

Tomorrow I'll clean those areas and re-seal with some weatherstrip sealant, and hopefully fixed the leaks.

Last edited by michaelhawk; 10-01-2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
There are 502 reasons why your floor mats would be wet. The t-tops account for 3 of them.

Is there something that makes you think it's coming from the top and not the window or the hatch?
^^
The rear hatch is definitely a possibility if the car is parked nose down in the rain. Feel under the rear seat bottoms, if that's wet it's most likely coming from the rear hatch. This is a very common problem with these cars and there are multiple topics on here about it. Hope you get it figured out.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:13 PM
JGL
Teching In

Id love to start figuring out where the leak is coming from but it's been torrential Raining for the last 2 days and don't have a garage !

At least I have a few options to check !

Thanks guys I'll keep you posted
Old 10-04-2015, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

This weekend I pulled part of the pass weather strip off, and found the 2 areas GM had used some foam sealing tape.

I removed the old stuff and cleaned the areas, wasn't easy but got it done.
Then I applied black RTV sealer in the same areas, screwed and bolted the weatherstrip down, locked the t-top in place to help keep pressure while it dried.

A day later it all looks good! We'll have more rain here next weekend, that'll be my test.

Quick Reply: T- Top Leaking