General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fan fuse keeps blowing 1995 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Fan fuse keeps blowing 1995 camaro

was driving my car today and noticed the service engine soon light came on. fisrt time it did this the fan fuse blew (that was over a month ago). so i checked that fuse and it was blown. replaced it and kept driving. bout 5 minutes later it blew again. i did some searching and read it could be air pump, skip shift(a4 car) and tcc solenoid (new harness in trans) egr (deleted). so i will be checking my o2 wires. anyone have any other suggestions/experience with this issue. Shbox please help!!! you are the lt1 god!!!
Old 11-16-2015, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

self bump. anyone???
Old 11-17-2015, 09:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Check and make sure the fan motors are good, if you have a fan motor creating to much resistance it can also make it blow the fuse.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 11-18-2015, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Check and make sure the fan motors are good, if you have a fan motor creating to much resistance it can also make it blow the fuse.
Its not my fans. I unplugged the AC fan and both the o2 sensors. Idled the car till it reached temp and the one fan plugged in was on high. No fuse popped. Plugged in the other fan and no fuse popped. Idled the car at 3k and put the AC on to put an extra load on the circuits. The service engine soon light came on, but the fan fuse wasn't blown. Turned the car off. Did the same thing, idled car at 3k rpms with AC on and same light came on. Fan fuse not tripped. So it leads me to believe that the o2s have something to do with it. I didn't scan the code yet but will in a few days. To see what it is. Either the o2s are bad, or something telling/signaling the o2s is bad
Old 11-19-2015, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would look into the areas that were disturbed - did the problem start after the EGR delete or after the transmission harness was changed?

This sounds like a short because the fuse pops after a few minutes of driving (bouncing) but not when sitting still.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:40 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eseibel67
I would look into the areas that were disturbed - did the problem start after the EGR delete or after the transmission harness was changed?

This sounds like a short because the fuse pops after a few minutes of driving (bouncing) but not when sitting still.
This ^^^
You have packrats there? Had one chew my fan wires years ago...

As for the SES light issue, why even waste your time until you have read the code? OBD scanners are super cheap nowadays, and our cars are old, it might be worth the investment to buy one...
Old 11-19-2015, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eseibel67

The egr has been deleted over 7 years ago. The trans was rebuilt almost a year ago with a new harness. I will need to drive the car some more and see if I can trigger the fuse to pop
Old 11-19-2015, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by big_g
This ^^^
You have packrats there? Had one chew my fan wires years ago...

As for the SES light issue, why even waste your time until you have read the code? OBD scanners are super cheap nowadays, and our cars are old, it might be worth the investment to buy one...
It's been a garage in the south so I don't think it's a rodent issue. I have access to a tech 1 scanner.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

scanned the codes. got bank 1 and bank 2 O2 circuit (i unplugged them) evap purge circuit egr circuit and fan1 circuit. i cleared those codes. then the service engine light came on. scanned it and the evap purge and egr circuit came up.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just incase someone searches for this problem. it was one of the o2 sensor wires on the passenger side between the frame ad the header pipe. burned through the factory heat wrap and grounded out the wire. cut out the brunt wire, added a new piece. added more heat wrap and rerouted the wire harness to where it wont touch the header

Quick Reply: Fan fuse keeps blowing 1995 camaro