General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tank Says Half Full But Won't Take Gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Tank Says Half Full But Won't Take Gas

I don't drive the car very much these days but I started it up for the first time in a few months to get it out on the road and fluids circulating. Gas was at about half tank so I figured I'd fill it up before putting it away again for a while. Put the pump in, but it won't pump more than a second or so. It keeps clicking and shutting off like (what I assume) when it doesn't have a good vacuum seal. So, try it about 5 more times, thinking it's just a faulty pump and then see gas pouring down the side of the car. So, I pull the pump out and gas is just sitting in a pool at the top of the gas inlet valve...

It appears as if, though there's only half a tank of gas (according to my gas gauge and assuming it is correct), something is blocking gas from getting in the tank. Though, the other (remote) possibility is that perhaps the gauge is wrong but I reset the trip meter every time I fill up and it's currently around 110 miles which would corroborate the current tank level reading. So, that's a much less likely probability.

Thus, at this point, I'd be interested in knowing whether or not anyone can think of a reason the gas tube may become blocked or prevented from accepting gas. And, if so, how to inspect/address it. Also, as the other remote possibility, what is the easiest way to test if the gauge is somehow off?

Thanks, all.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I dont know for sure about fbodies but on trucks they have a roll over valve flapper at the tank inlet which can hang. I took the pipe off and reached in and felt mine with my finger when I was having a similar issue in my yukon.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

You're not referring to the metal flap at the top of the pipe to prevent gas backsplash, right? It's something deeper in there? Presuming so, what's the easiest way to get in there to check?
Old 02-23-2016, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

On the trucks its at the base of the filler hose at the tank entrance.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Roger that.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
I don't drive the car very much these days but I started it up for the first time in a few months to get it out on the road and fluids circulating. Gas was at about half tank so I figured I'd fill it up before putting it away again for a while. Put the pump in, but it won't pump more than a second or so. It keeps clicking and shutting off like (what I assume) when it doesn't have a good vacuum seal. So, try it about 5 more times, thinking it's just a faulty pump and then see gas pouring down the side of the car. So, I pull the pump out and gas is just sitting in a pool at the top of the gas inlet valve...

It appears as if, though there's only half a tank of gas (according to my gas gauge and assuming it is correct), something is blocking gas from getting in the tank. Though, the other (remote) possibility is that perhaps the gauge is wrong but I reset the trip meter every time I fill up and it's currently around 110 miles which would corroborate the current tank level reading. So, that's a much less likely probability.

Thus, at this point, I'd be interested in knowing whether or not anyone can think of a reason the gas tube may become blocked or prevented from accepting gas. And, if so, how to inspect/address it. Also, as the other remote possibility, what is the easiest way to test if the gauge is somehow off?

Thanks, all.
Its your Evap canister. Fairly common issue with F-Bodies. I had the same issue several months back. Basically our fuel caps are ventless caps because our emissions system is designed to vent the fumes back to the engine and reburn them, when the canister goes bad, all the fumes get locked in the tank and builds up so much pressure that it prevents you from fueling the vehicle. I replaced mine and was able to fuel up again.

UNFORTUNATELY on anything above 98 I believe, you have to remove the entire fuel tank to reach it, the trap door method may work but Im not 100% sure.

I went ahead and replaced everything since the tank had to come out. Fuel pump assembly aswell.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 300 Likes on 166 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...into-tank.html

Could be this. I had the same problem. There's a valve under a green cap on the fuel line on the driver side of the motor. Use a screwdriver/pen/key to press down the valve and it should let the air out of the system. Then you should be able to fill up. Hope this works!
Old 02-23-2016, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CoreyD
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...into-tank.html

Could be this. I had the same problem. There's a valve under a green cap on the fuel line on the driver side of the motor. Use a screwdriver/pen/key to press down the valve and it should let the air out of the system. Then you should be able to fill up. Hope this works!
Yeah, I concur, basically what I was stating above. Im about 90% sure that this is the issue.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Awesome. Thanks for the info, all!
Old 05-25-2016, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Little update... purging the valve under the green EVAP cap didn't do anything. So, looks like the tank has to be dropped to replace the canister. Oy. Any way to easily ensure that's it before the tank is dropped?

Assuming that's it, any insight into the hours/effort that is going to take?
Old 06-06-2016, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Probably a silly question, but you've tried this at multiple gas stations correct?

I had almost the exact same issue and it turned out to be some weird thing with the station I was going to. Went to once across the street and didn't have a problem.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

I haven't tried it at another gas station. It's the same station I use to fill up all our other cars. So, unless it is something specific to this tank on my LS1, we haven't had any issues otherwise at the station (brand new Chevron built only a year ago).
Old 06-06-2016, 03:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

When this is related to tank pressure (improper vent from EVAP system), some have successfully pushed that flapper in the fill neck (mentioned earlier) back down with a straighten coat hanger. Of course, if you've already started to fill with fuel then you might get a nice spray of that fuel right in the face when you allow tank pressure to escape by pushing the flapper back down - so be careful and stand to the side. I've read that those with this issue often don't encounter it again unless they let the tank drop below about the ~1/3 range or so. I've never dealt with this myself, so I can only mention what I've heard/read in the past.

On the other hand, there is this:

I haven't tried it at another gas station. It's the same station I use to fill up all our other cars. So, unless it is something specific to this tank on my LS1, we haven't had any issues otherwise at the station (brand new Chevron built only a year ago).
I've encountered this issue at a few gas pumps before, where they just won't fill properly on certain cars I own, even though others are fine. There was one pump in particular that I always used at a local station, and then one day it just wouldn't work for my '02 Z28 at all. The car filled fine on other pumps, and other cars I owned filled fine on THAT pump, but something about that one pump and one car was an issue. So maybe try another pump/station as a simple test.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Little update... purging the valve under the green EVAP cap didn't do anything. So, looks like the tank has to be dropped to replace the canister. Oy. Any way to easily ensure that's it before the tank is dropped?

Assuming that's it, any insight into the hours/effort that is going to take?
Im 98% sure the problem is the evap cannister, its a very common issue with GM cars around the age of our cars, not just F-Bodies. Mine did the same thing, the green cap did not help it. Leaving it off over night kind of helps a little bit but I replaced the canister, issue solved.

I dont know how willing you are to do your own work but from my knowledge you will need to drop the rear axel to do this as Im not sure you will be able to reach the canister via the trap door method. If you drop the fuel tank, you need to replace the fuel pump while you're there. Overall it costed me about $1k to fix this, $500 in labor, $500 in parts because I decided to replace the fuel pump while I had the opportunity to, no point in taking all of that apart and the pump dies 300 miles down the road and you gatta do it again.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the info, Need. Very much appreciated.

I already have a Walbro in there, replaced the OEM a while back when I put in the 408. Either way, I have the trap door cut in the trunk if I ever do have to replace the pump again in the future, but good advice.

If only the Evap canister could be replaced as easily...

Quick Reply: Tank Says Half Full But Won't Take Gas