General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Recharging A/C - 99 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Recharging A/C - 99 Z28

Never had to do this before.
Can I pick up a can of refrigerant from Autozone and recharge my system? How difficult is it to do this myself and is there anything special I need to do to make sure I dont spill refrigerant into the atmosphere?
Thanks.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

are you putting the AC system back in the car or just refilling it from being evacuated before?
Old 06-06-2016, 09:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty easy nowadays. Get a bottle is 134a and a hose with a guage from part store or even Walmart. Follow instructions. It's easy. Connect the hose to the a/c fitting and the guage will tell you if your low. Follow instructions.

Of course, if your low then thst means there is likely a leak somewhere.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Majestic9C1
are you putting the AC system back in the car or just refilling it from being evacuated before?
Truly I don't even know if its low yet. It's just not able to blow cold air when the temperature gets over 80 degrees outside. The system itself has never been removed and the compressor is aproximately 2 years old.

Originally Posted by rybern
Pretty easy nowadays. Get a bottle is 134a and a hose with a guage from part store or even Walmart. Follow instructions. It's easy. Connect the hose to the a/c fitting and the guage will tell you if your low. Follow instructions.

Of course, if your low then thst means there is likely a leak somewhere.
Thats what I'm worried about. It has blown cold for aproximately 2 years but over the last few months its gradually become warmer and warmer to the point where its literally cooler to let the windows down. Do you suspect a leak is the cause of this? I am unsure if its really low or not. Would a leak, leak as slow as the entire system in 2 years?
Old 06-07-2016, 09:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
T
Thats what I'm worried about. It has blown cold for aproximately 2 years but over the last few months its gradually become warmer and warmer to the point where its literally cooler to let the windows down. Do you suspect a leak is the cause of this? I am unsure if its really low or not. Would a leak, leak as slow as the entire system in 2 years?
You can buy the freon and hose/gage for $20-$30. I would do this and charge it to a safe limit and document it. See how long it takes to leak down then you can decide if you want to spend the money to have it fixed.

Alternative is to take it to someone and pay them to pull a vacuum and check for leaks in which case you will be in the same boat but will have a quicker determination of where the leak is and how much it will cost you to fix it. This of course comes with a more hefty price tag of paying someone else to do this.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds to me like it's just a simple recharge. Just follow the directions on the bottle for charging the system. I have taken my car in previously and had the complete system evacuated and serviced for about $149, if you choose this route they will tell you if something is leaking or faulty.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I took my '99 in for leak repair back in 2011-2012. The leak source was misdiagnosed twice. It ended up having 2 different leaks (compressor seals and HP steel line)....and they used dye each time and still had trouble pin pointing the cause. The initial recharge of the system lasted 1 week before it was all gone again.

A 2 year old compressor can leak. Some of the cheaper brands often don't last very long. I'd check the bottom of the compressor for any wetness from its lubricating oil. Last time around you probably replaced compressor, LP line receiver-drier/expansion tube. I'd probably recharge it and see how long it lasts....but it seems likely there's a leak. There are plenty of DIY videos on line on how to do the recharge.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
is there anything special I need to do to make sure I dont spill refrigerant into the atmosphere?
Thanks.
your car is already leaking it,
so i wouldn't worry about spilling any when you add it.

scientists are pretty sure the sun will grow to a red giant and eventually incinerate the earth, so regardless of what anyone does global warming is going to happen.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
your car is already leaking it,
so i wouldn't worry about spilling any when you add it.

scientists are pretty sure the sun will grow to a red giant and eventually incinerate the earth, so regardless of what anyone does global warming is going to happen.
thanks that will help me sleep better after I come home from WalMart with additional freon tonight.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

I should have mentioned that if it's just a little low it won't take even half of a small can to get to the upper "green" level. Keep us posted on how it goes.

I recycle and genuinely try to not polute, but if my car is leaking a little bit of freon, I dont sweat it much....especially since I think 134a is easier on ozone.

Quick Reply: Recharging A/C - 99 Z28