General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2 Metal Lines on rack and pinion/ power steering

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2 Metal Lines on rack and pinion/ power steering

Hey guys, I have a leak from the middle line on the rack and pinion. I pulled the thing off and there is literally a finger nail crack in the line and now I have zero power steering. Thing is, I cannot find this replacement line anywhere. It's been discontinued. Any suggestions for a replacement?

The shorter metal line in the middle that runs to the passenger

Last edited by MoNoXSizzlE; 06-08-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:43 PM
Teching In

If the line can be removed it could be Tig welded or silver soldered
Old 06-08-2016, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by solidaxel
If the line can be removed it could be Tig welded or silver soldered
Hmmm.. line seemed kind of thin, didn't think it was possible. It's cracked right under the nut that can be slid up and down.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:52 PM
Teching In

A GOOD Tig welder!!
The one that can weld gum wrappers together!
Old 06-08-2016, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by solidaxel
A GOOD Tig welder!!
The one that can weld gum wrappers together!
Lol thanks for the info. I may have someone that can silver solder
Old 06-08-2016, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Unfortunately, you're not going to be able to find the stock lines.
I replaced mine with Braided Lines with AN fittings. You can use these, even if you have the alternator in the stock location. This is what I'm using:
http://onlinestore.modularturbo.com/...it-p/cbr45.htm
Old 06-09-2016, 08:12 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Whoah ^ for the cost of this, I'd just go get a junk unit from a salvage yard and take the pipe off the thing and clean it up!
Old 06-09-2016, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
Whoah ^ for the cost of this, I'd just go get a junk unit from a salvage yard and take the pipe off the thing and clean it up!
true there's cheaper ways to skin the cat but I was so tired of these leaks killing my alternators that I just nuked the problem. Wont have to worry about leaks with these babies. They're a bit of a pain to install around the alternator though (because they're designed for an alternator relocation but still work with the alt in stock location). Also went with a Turn One power steering pump and a new rack too.. No more power steering leaks. (My car was losing fluid in about 3 - 4 days time.)

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 06-09-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:02 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
true there's cheaper ways to skin the cat but I was so tired of these leaks killing my alternators that I just nuked the problem.
OK. This is a technical forum. Before you spread nasty internet rumors any further... What is the mechanism by which power steering fluid, or any fluid, or any other road contaminant, kills an alternator???
Old 06-13-2016, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

call either redheadsteering in Auburn Washington, or rackdoctor in south carolina.
that would be your greatest chance of getting just a replacement hard line on the rack, versus sending the whole thing in for a new (reman'd) rack. or you bite the bullet on the cheapest reman rack from a local store, take those hard lines off and put them on your original rack, and send your cracked lines back on the rack you just bought as the core (you'd be returning the new rack as the core, only the hard lines swapped).

i would not waste your time trying to repair the line, it'll be too thin. trying to solder it would not be strong enough- case in point new r410a refrigerant in AC units for your house runs up to 500 psi high side and they cannot silver solder those copper lines anymore they have to braze them because pressure is too high. i'm pretty sure the pressure in your power steering lines on the rack is over 500 psi. and tig welding it i don't see it being successful but that's my opinion, you'll never be able to clean out the oil inside the line well enough and heating the line will likely weaken it and cause it to fail elsewhere.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
OK. This is a technical forum. Before you spread nasty internet rumors any further... What is the mechanism by which power steering fluid, or any fluid, or any other road contaminant, kills an alternator???
I know the coils in the alternator are coated, but I literally ate 3 of them in a matter of a few months before I replaced both the power steering pump and the lines. When I took off each one, they were soaked with steering fluid. Im sure Alternators can resist liquids of any sort but constant exposure to something as corrosive as power steering fluid is not good for them Im sure. On my replacement 3 month old alternator that was soaked in fluid, the one I removed when I replaced the power steering lines, when I removed it.. the bolt that holds the alternator cable in place was sealed to the assembly, literally, it would NOT come off.. I put so much torque into it trying to remove it that I broke the nut and the internals of the alternator and was forced to cut the cable off.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:34 AM
Save the manuals!

I know the coils in the alternator are coated, but I literally ate 3 of them in a matter of a few months before I replaced both the power steering pump and the lines. When I took off each one, they were soaked with steering fluid.
Lots of threads on this site with the same thing happening - but without P/S fluid. Alternator builds are notoriously bad and I've also been the victim of them. You can't draw a cause and effect from this.

My latest alternator took a bath in P/S fluid. I changed my P/S pump the day after putting the alternator in and drained an entire quart of fluid on it. 6 years later, it's perfect.

Im sure Alternators can resist liquids of any sort but constant exposure to something as corrosive as power steering fluid is not good for them Im sure. On my replacement 3 month old alternator that was soaked in fluid, the one I removed when I replaced the power steering lines, when I removed it.. the bolt that holds the alternator cable in place was sealed to the assembly, literally, it would NOT come off.. I put so much torque into it trying to remove it that I broke the nut and the internals of the alternator and was forced to cut the cable off.
P/S fluid isn't corrosive. It's an oil. If it were corrosive, it would eat the insides of our cast iron P/S pump. The electronics on many alternators is cheap, though.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your alternator gets a bath in power steering fluid, most likely the cause of the alternator then not working is because there's oil on the armature where the brushes ride == no electrical conductivity. easier said then done but if you pull the alternator apart and clean it out i would bet $1 it would work fine again.... specifically the copper area on the armature in pic below
Old 06-14-2016, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh well, no more leaks, no more worries, and the braided lines look awsome

Quick Reply: 2 Metal Lines on rack and pinion/ power steering