General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power seat goes every way but back

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power seat goes every way but back

What's up guys? Been a while since I've been on here.

I cannot get my drivers seat to slide back. It will go forward, up, tilt, lumbar, etc... but it won't slide back. It's up far enough that I can't comfortably drive it. I'm planning on taking it on vacation this Saturday so I need a quick fix. My mechanic buddy thinks the switch is bad. Ill try to find a replacement and switch it out, but I don't know if I'll find one.
If that doesn't work, can I pull the seat out and reinstall it further back on the track?
I just realized the problem today, so I haven't gotten under the seat or taken anything apart yet, just trying to get some ideas before I check it out further tomorrow.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by DownSouthWS6; 06-28-2016 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:27 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Just take the side plastic panel off so you can get to the switch. (You an leave this panel off until you get your new switch.) In order to get this panel off, you may need to remove the seat.

Once the panel is off, you have access to the switch, the switch contacts/connector, and the seat is re-installed: You can jump the 12V power and ground from the supply to the switch to the contacts for the forward/reverse motor on the seat. (The switch should reverse the polarity to change from forward to reverse.)

If you leave the panel off, you can just do this again if you need to make any adjustments while you wait for the new switch.

If you register on AutoZone's web site, they provide GM's full schematics for the car, but I don't recall if there is one for the power seat, or not.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Follow wssix99's advise to get you through your vacation.

As for a switch, here is a link to a used one for $25:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/93-02-CAMARO...JXJ-xu&vxp=mtr

A new one for $80:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=psw141

The part number for the part is PSW141
(Standard Motor Products)
Old 06-29-2016, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
Once the panel is off, you have access to the switch, the switch contacts/connector, and the seat is re-installed: You can jump the 12V power and ground from the supply to the switch to the contacts for the forward/reverse motor on the seat. (The switch should reverse the polarity to change from forward to reverse.)
I've got the panel off already and after I pick up some star hexes I'm gonna pull the switch.

I probably should have explained that I'm terrible with electric stuff and I'm having trouble following your advice. I think I get what your saying, I'm just not sure the proper steps to take. Does this require cutting or splicing?

I almost burned my truck to the ground replacing a wire, electrical really isn't my thing.

Last edited by DownSouthWS6; 06-29-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:07 PM
Save the manuals!

Can you post some pictures of what you have? It's been a while since I've been under there and I don't remember what things look like. (Without taking my own car apart. )
Old 06-29-2016, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Just thought of this:
My brother has an '01 SS with power seats, if I pulled the switch out of his car would it hook up to mine? If so, I could use his switch to slide my seat back and then reinstall my switch (and pull the seat circuit breaker to avoid this issue again).
Old 06-30-2016, 06:02 AM
Save the manuals!

I'd think that would work.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

I'm gonna try that tomorrow, I feel pretty confident that'll work.

My dad said something about reversing the polarity too, so if the borrowed switch doesn't work I may try that as a last ditch effort. Would you just use a battery from a 12v drill or something?
Old 06-30-2016, 09:03 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by DownSouthWS6
Would you just use a battery from a 12v drill or something?
Yes, but the seat would move very slowly. When your car is off, you are essentially doing the same thing when you move your seat regularly - just with the car battery. If you compare your car's battery vs. a power tool battery, you can see the greater potential for power output of the car battery.

Your seat has wires hooked up to the car battery right now, that have 12V of live power. (So, it's just like having the car battery under your seat.) You just need to connect the right wires to the right places.

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znet...3f80244376.gif

^ This is the schematic for my '99 and your '00 should be identical. Under the seat, you should see a connector going to the switch with a black and orange wire. Those are your hot power wires. Leaving the switch, should be Tan, Light Green, Yellow, Light Blue, Dark Green, and Dark Blue wires. These other wires go to your seat motors.

Getting the Orange and Black Wires connected to the Tan and Light Green Wires will solve your problem. By reading the schematic, it looks like hooking the:
- Orange wire to the Light Green wire
- Black wire to the Tan wire
will make the seat go backwards. To make the seat change direction, just reverse those connections.

I wouldn't cut or splice any wires to do this. You should be able to do it by unhooking connectors and using probe wires to connect terminals together. The wire contacts may also be exposed at the motor, so that may be the best place to make the Light Green and Tan touches. (If you can get in there without taking the seat out.)

Quick Reply: Power seat goes every way but back