General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Gas pedal sticking @ the top

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Gas pedal sticking @ the top

I did a search but nothing gave me that ah ha moment so I am asking for help.
My gas pedal has an intermittent stiff spot at the first 1/16"-1/8" of the pedal. It seems more pronounced once the car is warm and on the highway, after I release and go to step back on the gas.
My mechanically inclined friend removed the throttle cable from the t/c unit, the cable and the butterfly on the t/b move freely. How do I know if the problem is the t/c or cruise control unit itself or is it an electronic problem from the plug that goes into the t/c unit? Unlike most I would like to keep the cruise and the t/c. I am sure I can find a good used unit but I would like to try not to guess wrong b/c the parts will be non returnable. Thanks for any help, sorry of it is a lot of wind lol.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:05 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The traction control on our cars is primative and isn't what you want it to be. It doesn't operate the throttle, just the brakes - so that other cable is just for the cruise control only.

So, you've disconnected that cruise control unit and the problem goes away?
Old 09-11-2016, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you for taking the time to reply Wssix99. After driving the car today I now know we unplugged the traction control unit not the cruise and it felt much better. I reconnected it after a bunch of miles and it is still better. Maybe there was a glitch somewhere?
Old 09-11-2016, 05:53 PM
Save the manuals!

It must be the reverse of that. Your cruise control is meshed with the accelerator and your TCS is just a dingle berry off the antilock brake system.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sure your right, whatever plug he pulled left the cruise working and the tc light on the switch off. I just hope it continues to work.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
It doesn't operate the throttle, just the brakes - so that other cable is just for the cruise control only.
In what sense are you explaining this? The T/C servo does operate the throttle in low traction situations. It will feel as though the gas pedal is pushing back against your foot, almost like ABS feels on the brake. But under normal driving, it simply translates both the throttle and cruise linkage straight into the single cable going to the TB. I'm sure you already know that, just don't want OP to think that servo does nothing at all.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Spartan7
In what sense are you explaining this?
I am not a TCS expert on these cars and was basing my information on where the "brain" is. I was not aware the system crossed over to the cruise control bits & pieces. I assume that the TCS option would have required cruise control, then?

Originally Posted by Spartan7
The T/C servo does operate the throttle in low traction situations. It will feel as though the gas pedal is pushing back against your foot, almost like ABS feels on the brake. But under normal driving, it simply translates both the throttle and cruise linkage straight into the single cable going to the TB.
^ Then this would make sense of everything above. Spartain7 - can you help us decipher the rest of this? If TCS is activating the servo at the wrong times, I'd expect there are other safety issues that could be going on with the car - perhaps something that could cause issues with the ABS system down the road.

I'm wondering now if there might be any error codes stored in the ABS/TCS system indicating an odd condition with a sensor?
Old 09-13-2016, 11:30 AM
Save the manuals!

Carguy8888 - What kind of wheels and tires do you have on the car? Are they matched all the way around? Do you have any gear or rear end modifications?
Old 09-13-2016, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As I understand it, there are 3 elements to TCS/ASR; individual brake modulation of the rear wheels via ABS (on LT1 cars this was done by a separate module), then control of the throttle/cruise cables by the servo motor mounted on the front of the passenger wheel well (on LT1 cars, it's mounted above the driver side valve cover), and finally by the PCM cutting fuel.

If the servo is controlling the cable at the wrong time, it should be a simple matter of unplugging it and seeing if the problem goes away. Then the cam on the servo becomes a simple linkage connection to the TB. The "brains" of it all is the EBTCM, the cable servo is just a motor.

It sounds like OP did this and the issue improved. OP, if the issue comes back, I'd unplug it again and see if that improves it. If so, it might be a bad servo motor, or the EBTCM is commanding it at the wrong time, the latter of which is over my head.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
Carguy8888 - What kind of wheels and tires do you have on the car? Are they matched all the way around? Do you have any gear or rear end modifications?
They are 275- 40-17 Sumitomos all the way around with OE Wheels C6 knock-offs. I had the original 273 dif switched to a 3:42. With a 3K stall it is just enough for me
Old 09-13-2016, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe it's the most simple thing after all? After having another couple of Ls friends look at my car the cruise control motor does have a little sticking when turning it by hand. My buddy drove the car and definitely felt what I feel and said it's not normal. Does that adjuster peace in the center of the cable work by vacuum to stiffen the throttle? Maybe it is too tight?
Old 09-14-2016, 08:14 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Carguy8888
They are 275- 40-17 Sumitomos all the way around with OE Wheels C6 knock-offs. I had the original 273 dif switched to a 3:42. With a 3K stall it is just enough for me
Should be no worries here since everything is matched.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you it works perfect, now if I can only get my gas pedal to stop sticking LOL.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably a stupid question, but have you checked the throttle body blade to make sure it isn't gummed up with carbon deposits or adjusted incorrectly?

When I changed to a ported throttle body, I had to adjust the idle screw to get the blade to stop sticking slightly at idle.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you and not a stupid question. My guy removed the cable and the Butterfly moves freely with no carbon.

Quick Reply: Gas pedal sticking @ the top